Wheel Backspacing -- Ok to have different spare?

I have 4 Eagle Series 55 rims right now with 3.25" backspacing (15x8). Yes, that is a lot, but I got them at a GREAT price. I need to get my spare tire mounted as it isn't on a wheel yet. I was going to go with the plain black steel wheels, but they only go to 3.75" backspacing. I can get a matching spare wheel, but it's $80 instead of $40.

Is it worth the extra $40 to have the same backspacing?

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

twaldron

It's worth the extra $40 to have the same wheel for a spare as the other wheels.

And, 3.25 backspacing is LESS than 3.75, and less than stock, if I remember right. Those tires are going to stick out of the fender openings.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

They already do. But I NEVER rub -- and fully-flexed with wheels turned. Besides, I paid $125 for all 4 wheels -- they only had a couple of hundred miles on them. Not to mention they look pretty good!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

That's what I plan on doing until I can get a new bumper -- keep the smaller (standard stock wheel/tire combo -- not the donut) on the back and the full-sized one at home. Where I wheel right now is only a couple of miles from my house.

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So, you saved a ton of money on 4, spend a few bucks and get the 5th. You will be ahead of the game, and you will have 5 matched rims. I don't even get why there is a question here ...

I recently bought a set of rims for my BMW. The set of 4 worked out to be about 120 each, the fifth was 150. 480 + 150 = 630. Two from the dealer cost almost 900. Pay a few bucks more and get the matching rim, and ammortize the entire set. 630 / 5 = 126. Still a pretty good price. Your rims will work out similarly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bill, his only question is about the different backspacing.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You MUST have all 5 tires be the same size, or your tcase will go nuts getting you back to the road in 4WD. If you have limited slip or a locker (or two lockers), then the smaller diameter tire will be a serious problem. Get the whlle that mateches the others, and don't look back.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

No, I think it's the fact that I get into places where the nose is above the tail well in excess of 50°. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

PS, I got threw that without a strap. It took several attempts to get the right line, but I eventually made it, and only scratched the body armor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey Bill, I have a backspacing question for you, it's on an 81 CJ7,3 1/2" susp. lift and 1" body, narrow track, I have 33x12.5x15 BFG MTs, on 8x15 alluminum rims, nice rims. Anyway I get a far bit of tire rub, on fiberglass tub as well as springs. I was going to get new rims and sell these ones, but when I checked backspacing on these it is already 3 1/2", so I may have a problem getting less. I know everyones thoughts on spacers, but here are my thoughts, jeep is just a toy not my daily driver, 95% off road use, if I buy 1" spacers I can use them for off road but take them off for any trips, if I can get rims with less backspacing, I would not be able to remove for trips. Either one will be harder on bearing, but at least the spacers I can take off. What are your thoughts on my idea, I have to do something before I burn a hole through my tub, and I know Mike would say I should of gone with the 9.5 tires, but I love my 12.5s. Greg

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Reply to
Greg

I agree spend $40 bucks, why mismatch.. Save the money by cutting back on a few beers next weekend !

Reply to
James Hilins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's blasphemy. There will be no cutting back on Beer, DO YOU HEAR ME?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think he just meant to go to _LIGHT beer_ if you HAD TO, for a bit. At least just a few light beers a night...to save money...I don't think he meant cut back on the NUMBER of beers consumed....DID YOU??!!???

Reply to
twaldron