Head light Assembly for 2001 Grand Cherokee

I am looking to replace the front head light assembly for both sides of my 2001 Grand Cherokee. The dealer quoted me a price of over $500 for each side. I went online and found some mail order headlight assemblies considerably cheaper; however, I am not sure about quality of the components.

Can someone in this group recommend a good mail order company where I can purchase the headlight assembly?

Thanks

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I've had various luck with online/after-market/ lights. The ones I have now were from Crown, had a bit of an issue with some of the attachment points which required a bit of tweaking. And the material was cheaper looking. However that was back in

2004 and they are still working. (1993 ZJ)

Most are sourced by Crown

like you need a login to see the prices now. I've also used
for a few things.They do have a good return policy, although I never have had touse it.

Also try

as well, they are a dealerjust without the "we're gonna bend you over" pricing.

Are they broken or just hazy? Haze can be polished away fairly easily.

Reply to
DougW

Hazy but not too bad so I am told. I wondered about how long the polishing lasts? I am thinking about it. The dealer will do it for $100 and an other local garage wants $136. Not sure about why the price difference.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

It's just labor. But do mask off the surrounding paint, especially if you use a spinnyball or pad.

Lots of examples. I've used Flitz with good results. Also used McGuires polishing compound.

The key is how long it lasts. Just rubbing the surface clean will last for a while, but you really need to seal it back up or it will haze over again. This is where you need good product and a very clean surface.

suchlike. Don't just use any ol clearcoat, plastic is kinda picky.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for that info...very helpful.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I bought an aftermarket set of v3 Projector headlights. I couldn't be happier with them. I think I paid like $120 for the pair. They've been on my WJ for over a year now with no problems whatsoever. The projector beam pattern is very cool. Nice cutoff that you don't get with OEM headlights. Not too mention, they look very nice. I bought mine on eBay. You can find numerous dealers selling them. I would recommend the v3 (third generation) as they seem to have solved the leak/condensation problem inside the lenses.

The v3 (third generation) lights have the led's on the side (vice top or bottom).

You can also get them with HID lights now. I have regular halogen bulbs, but I wish I had the HID look.

Here's an a example of what they look like and where to get them.

Jo Baggs

inyurl.com/6f4v68b

Thanks for the information. I will have a look. Right now I am thinking about having them polished since I don't have the leak/ condensation problem you mentioned.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

With the V3 headlights, you will have no leak/condensation. I'm not even sure the V1 or V2 have leaks/condensation anymore. You will love these headlights. They look so much better than the OEM headlights and give you better lighting at night.

I polished my original OEM lenses. It only lasted about one year and the started fogging again, which is why I bought the projector beam housings. I can save you a lot of work with polishing. It doesn't last long. Go ahead and spend the $100-$150 and you wont be sorry.

These lights look and function very nice. Check out this youtube video of how they look:

have the exact same lights on the exact same Jeep. I love them. I highly recommend them.

Reply to
Jo Baggs