Where to go Jeepin' in CO?

To tell you the truth it's been a few years since I've camped over there. I mostly head to Moab anymore. I do plan on making a camping trip over there this summer though.

Let's see.... when we camped around there we used to camp at Molas Lake campground above Silverton.

Closer to Ouray you are looking at
Depends on what services you require. When we camp we usually don't need any services, so we just camp in any wilderness area that allows it. If you want things like toilets and showers, it limits your choices a bit.

You might try their online visitors guide

Sorry don't have time this morning to do much searching for you.

Reply to
Kevin S.

Chinaman's and Holy Cross are about my favorites in Colorado. HOWEVER, they are not by any means "not too difficult". They are actually considered some of the more difficult in Colorado (which is why I like them), and offer some very difficult obstacles. Holy Cross isn't too bad until you get to a stream called "French Creek". Exiting the far side of the stream is very difficult, with 4-ft. boulders to climb, and your tires freshly wet from crossing the creek. Chinaman's has about 3 or 4 "difficult" obstacles to climb. They always present a challenge to people, and at least one or two vehicles in our group will usually have some sort of body or drivetrain damage from one of these. Usually this damage is as a result of not enough lift, or driver error, of course, but the potential for these sorts of breakages or body damages is much higher on this trail than many others in Colorado.

Also, Holy Cross will likely still have a decent bit of snow on it at least until the middle of June. Chinaman's is clear, though; my trail group out here did it two weekends ago:

I don't, by any means, want to scare you off from the trail; as I said it's one of my favorites. I just don't want you to go into it with an inaccurate picture of what it's like. I don't know how well your vehicle is built, after all. One last thing: I personally wouldn't do either of these trails without at least one other vehicle present. I have gotten stuck on both of them (granted, I still had open diffs then, but it's something to consider...I have a 4" lift and run 33" tires).

Have fun on the trails here in CO when you come out!

/Bob

Reply to
Bob