ADVICE: Summitville Ghost Town Trail in CO

Has anyone done this trail? Is it worth it for scenic value? (it's not a difficult trail) I'm taking my 9 yr. old daughter on a Jeeping/camping trip in the Rubi to the San Juan Mtns and coming from Texas was thinking of taking this detour as an introductory run before arriving in Lake City.

From there we might do Cinnamon, Animas, _easy_ part of Engineer, North Fork Cutoff, Alta, Yankee Boy, Bolam. This is her first real off road adventure and I don't want to scare the tar out of her or she'll never come back. Also, we will be alone so if there are any parts that should be avoided please advise. I have a winch, CB, etc. but I don't intend on doing anything difficult. Safety and scenics are important on this run.

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

Bring your cell phone. Coverage is spotty but they work in the most unexpected of places. ;o)

I haven't been on all these trails, but I haven't heard anything bad about any of them. Cinnamon is doable in a stock four cylinder YJ. It is only steep on the ends. It is high though. The summit is around twelve thousand feet if I remember. It is a good idea to get acclimated for a day or so at five thousand feet first. Drink water, wear a hat, don't over exert yourself.

Conditions right now are "dusty," but nothing like last year. At least you are allowed to camp out. Camp fires...maybe you'd better bring a propane stove or something. I have been out a couple times so far this season, but most of the summer is being spent stripping paint. Yuch, but the wood work is beautiful underneath. How could anyone have painted it? Anyway, no one is going to think any less of you if you bring some face masks. The cheap ones from The Home Depot for sanding work great.

Trail ratings depend on weather. I think I mentioned that. We have wind here. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I haven't done summitville, but I did almost all of the other trails with my parents back in the late 80's & early 90's when I was a teenager and I have nothing but good memories (except a small flash flood on yankee boy basin). You can't go wrong with pretty much any of those trails. We did them all in rental jeeps or our Wagoneer Limited... you know, XJ style with the real imitation woodgrain sides, and that incredible 2.8L V6 engine (yuck!). This was back when we lived in Wisconsin. Now I live two hours away and I haven't done any of those trails since I got back into jeeping/camping in the last couple years! What a shame, but I DO plan to make a trip down this fall to enjoy them again!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle