87 YJ Steering problem

I have an 87 YJ with power steering. It has stock size rims and tires (225/75-15 tires).

[258 I6+TF727 3Speed+NP207+3.07 gears].

Lately the steering has become super hard to turn. Its worse than any non-power steering vehicle I have driven. The steering effort really doesn't get better with speed, or course you don't have as much to do...

The peculiar thing is that the steering effort isn't really constant or even constantly increasing as you get toward the lock. Turning from lock to lock there are easy bits and very hard bits. I don't know if its the right way to explain it, but it is almost like turning against a cam. This is true standing still or going slow in a parking lot. Engine speed doesn't seem to matter.

I have checked the power steering fluid and belt. The pump turns. It squeals a little at the locks. One suspicious thing is a slight mechanical moaning sound that can be heard at low speed (crawling up to a stop light), kind of u-joint like, but I am not sure.

How do you go about diagnosing this one?

Thanks

Reply to
Charlie Dellacona

A few things I can think of are:

- steering box is failing

- bent or failing steering stabilizer

- steering shaft u-joints are failing

- a ball joint is tight or seized

- steering shaft bearing ???

Maybe disconnect/remove the stablizer and do a slow drive around the block and rule that out first.

Reply to
Jeepster

sounds like it could be 2 things if the problem is in both directions its the pump. If it only does it in one direction its the box. with the pump there are

2 valves in it and they could not be functioning properly. If it is the box it sounds like the worm drive and the recirculating bearing are worn out. Hope this helps
Reply to
WYTEKER51

I agree.

One more thing is a cooked front axle u-joint. They can bind the steering up like that when they seize.

Mike

Mike Romain

One for Mike.

Right front U-Joint was badly seized. They were original, 110K miles. Replaced both of course.

Thanks for h> >

Reply to
Charlie Dellacona

Reply to