Which is the best Full sized model jeep?

I have a CJ7 and was wondering about the best year/model for full sized or full cabin jeeps such as wagoneer or cher-a-kee, etc. I don't know much about them. Looking for the same simplicity that a CJ7 has or close to it.

thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

I can't think of one year being better than another. What matters most is the condition and what you want for mechanicals. Most have the AMC 360 with either a TH400 or a 727 trans. Transfer cases vary depending on year, from the Dana units to the Quadratrac, NP208, NP228, etc. Usually a D44 front and an AMC20 or D44 rear. The Cherokee came in a wide track model which can handle bigger tires. They're all big, sturdy, early 60's technology that get about 12 mpg. 14 with a tune-up and a tailwind. The bodies seem to wrap around the frame more and you sit lower than other trucks. With a 4" lift and 33" tires I still have room to mount lights on the roof and fit it through my 7' garage door. Couldn't do that with my Jimmy.

FSJ's are starting to get popular again, with the aftermarket reproducing alot of NLA parts. The FSJ-List on Yahoo is where most of the big Jeep guys talk. Just don't call a Grand Cherokee a full sized Jeep. ;-)

Reply to
fuji

There are several FSJ web sites out there. Two I have see are as follows. Probably more if you search..

ppdavid

I don't know which is the best one, but I can tell you about my experiences trying to trail ready an '87 Grand Wagoneer. First of all, parts are tougher to find, but not impossible. If you check out the IFSJA site, there are some good tech articles and some old parts links.

You best bet for parts is BJ's Offroad out of Gig Harbour, Washington or somewhere is Georgia. I have ordered a 6" lift kit as well as front an rear bumpers. They are probably the most help for these kinds of parts.

Regarding the machines themselves, there are a few inherent problems that seem to crop up...

  1. The 360 V8's are prone to vacuum lakes, rough idle and running rich and there seems to be various solutions. The vehicle that I purchased experienced much of this and I found that removing a lot of the emissions equipment solved a lot of that. If you are in an area that requires the original emissions equipment, you can still solve the problem, but it seems to be more expensive.
  2. The air conditioning systems seem to always leak so you are looking at converting the system from R-12 to R-134A. While I haven't done this yet, I was quoted a cost of around 0.00 CAN to complete it here in Alberta.
  3. There is a commonly accepted view that the average owner of a jeep can expect to replace every inch of the wiring over the ownership time of the vehicle. While I haven't experienced much of this yet, I have some minor door/interior light issues that need to be addressed. In that light, the electric door locks on the vehicle are at least .00/door USD for replacement actuators. The IFSJA site had an article on a cheap fix using current 2-wire actuators from local alarm installers. I checked it out here and found them for .00 CAN per door and I installed 4 in about 3 hours.
  4. The power rear windows are always a problem however there are fixes listed, as well as replacement motors available.
  5. There is a cheap upgrade to the Ford Electronic Ignition system which I have done and works well.
  6. The engagement of the transfer case into 4Lo is different than most other Jeeps but I have had no problems with it.

The good points about the Grand Wagoneers is that the 86's or 98's on had Dana 44's both front and rear. They use a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern similar to that of the 3/4 ton Chevy's. There is room galore under the vehicle and more room inside than a non Full-size Jeep, however, they turn on a dime.

While they are a great vehicle, if you find one that is in good shape, they tended to be a "soccer mom" vehicle near the end so you have the leather seats, the power windows, door locks and mirrors and the full time 4WD, much of which can and do need to be looked at throughout the life of the vehicle. I had an old time Jeeper sit in my Grand Wagoner the other day and he commented that it was too nice to take in the bush. I know that when I get the 6" lift kit, the front and back bumpers, the

12000 lb. Warn Winch and the 35" MTR's, oh yeah and a couple of lockers, I'll be wheeling with the best of them through most of the trails.

Greg

1987 Grand Wagoner

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Greg

Can go go wrong with the Unlimited

I own one and love it

"Greg" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pretzlaff.com... >I don't know which is the best one, but I can tell you about my > experiences trying to trail ready an '87 Grand Wagoneer. > First of all, parts are tougher to find, but not impossible. If you > check out the IFSJA site, there are some good tech articles and some old > parts links. >

Reply to
Eric and Elizabeth

For performance and upgradeability the Cherokees are probably the best. They are 2 doors, all had v8's and they are wide track. They did make a 4 door model and a narrow track but not a lot of them. Just look for the bigger fender flares and it'll be a wide track. Check out

for more info than you could possibly use.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR