While we're slamming Dealerships....

I went to price a clutch kit from a local dealer today for my 83 CJ7. They came back with a quote of around 500.00

What?????

Comparitively, I got a price at a local parts store for 119.00. Heck of a difference.

Also, it pays to shop.

I was quoting prices for R&R on my engine to have it machined. I had prices ranging from 540.00 (lowest) to 1800.00 (highest). I didn't even try the dealer on this.

Amazing.

Reply to
William Oliveri

You do know that the dealer sells short blocks for $1200.00 eh. That is the price up here in Canada last time I checked. I could even get a dealer long block 4.0 for $2500.00 installed with 1 year warranty on everything including the install labor.

Mike

Mike Romain

Ya know Mike,

I just need to move my @ss up by you cuz down here they don't even know if they can get the blocks first off according to service. Labor, the guy's guessing but says he thinks about 1200.00 for remove and replace. Parts can't get a 4.2L block of any kind and says a 4.0L long block will be.....

Hold on to your britches...

2283.00 plus 600.00 core charge.

So let's see.

2283 + 600 + 1200 = $4083.00

Oooooohhhh.......... Don't that feel good....

Believe me, I've done some heavy leg work and this is the best I've found with the highest quality:

R&R Engine 540.00 Machine short block and add my 4.0L head, 1200.00 Balance engine 125.00.

Again, I could save the 540.00 if I could pull the engine but due to appt rules I cannot.

This should last me until the next time which I should have a garage or local buds by then.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Bill,

You should take a trip and visit Michigan. We could rebuild your engine the way you want, remove and replace it in my buddy's fully equipped shop and have ya running and out the door for a lot less than that. Might cost you a few boxes of barley sodas. but unfortunately it'd be tough to get your Jeep here now since it's torn down..

Chris

Chris,

I love Michigan. I used to work on Mackinac Island several summers and my father worked there many more summers than I. I also lived down by Pontiac in a town called Davisburg, close to Mt Holly and near Clarkston. Lots of nice women there to :-)

Also, the UP is wonderful. Filled with State and National Parks.

Where are you at?

Well, as I mentioned to Mike, I did some heavy leg work in this area and this price is the best I could get. I stuck without buds in this area and no place to work :-(. I just came back from a visit to my home state Florida and yes, there I would have access to friends who have both, mechanical knowledge and a big place to work. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I'm in the UP, but just barely. Right on the Wisconsin border, so you've definitely been in my area before.

Chris

Yes, it does pay to shop.

I work at a Jeep dealership. Some of the parts we use in the service department are purchased at NAPA, Carquest, or Bumper to Bumper rather than DC. Why? Availability and cost savings. A dealership parts department can be an excellent source for certain parts. For others, buy elsewhere.

Why stoop to "slamming dealerships"? Nobody is forced at gunpoint to buy a $500 clutch kit from a Jeep dealer. The Parts Manager at my store would be the first to tell you, "Go down to Carquest, they have it a lot cheaper".

Also beware that the quality of auto parts and service work can vary considerably. Sometimes the old adage applys: "You get what you pay for".

Best regards, Dave Rose Cactus Cowboy Big Wonderful Wyoming '49 Willys Pickup (parts truck) '62 Willys Pickup 4WD 226 '98 XJ Sport O|||||||O

Reply to
cactuscowboy

Man, there is a guy in Florida giving away an 85 CJ7 rolling chassis. It only has 80K on it!

You could have towed it home. Just a drivetrain and frame, no body tub. Doors and all come with it...

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain