dealerships, kbb, trade-ins and the ford a-plan

I got the bright idea to try and trade in my 1998 Explorer XLT for a 2005 Escape. I hopped online, got my a-plan pin, scoped kbb.com for a trade-in price ($6810, in Ohio).

I called around. Found a dealership that said they could get me what I wanted.

So off to the dealership I went, after cleaning out all my junk in the Explorer.

I told him everything hinged on the trade-in, so that's what I wanted to discuss first. He took down the specs. Took the vehicle, had it "inspected" (I do wonder exactly what they do for that 25 minutes).

Anyway, he comes back with a printout from kbb.com saying $4400 for 'fair' condition.

I said that's off. He wants to know what I want for the vehicle. So I read the 'fair' description. The only thing wrong with the vehicle is the windshield's cracked. It needs a new one. Fair states (from kdb.com):

"means that the vehicle probably has some mechanical or cosmetic defects, but is still in safe running condition. The paint, body and/or interior need work to be performed by a professional in order to be sold. The tires need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage. The value of cars in this category may vary widely. A clean title history is assumed. Even after significant reconditioning this vehicle may not qualify for the Blue Book Suggested Retail value. "

I politely point out that I don't think that's the description of the vehicle, the tires are new, there's no rust, a couple scratches here or there, but no dents, no rust.

I told him I thought the good category was where the vehicle qualified for.

So he goes and prints out one with "good". His printout says $5330.

I tell him that still seems low, that's not close to what I got from kbb. So he asks what amount I got from kbb.com, and I tell him (mistake #1?).

Off he goes to talk w/ his manager, comes back and says that I must have put everything in wrong when I was on kbb.com. I said uh-uh. He asks "did you check off XLT". Yep. "Did also check off things like power windows, power locks, etc". Yes. He says that's my mistake. That everything is accounted for when XLT is chosen. So KBB was doubling up my options so that the price I got was inflated.

(I cannot substantiae whether he's correct, or I am, but the last vehicle I did this with I checked off the make, model, and then everything it had, and the amount was almost identical to what the dealership gave me, so I don't know, I haven't been able to find any definitive instructions on kbb.com)

I balked at that, but said fine, if I'm doing it wrong, we should be able to replicate this on kbb.com, and if I am doing it wrong then my expectations are obviously out of whack. I asked if he had a computer terminal with Internet access. He says yes. I say let's go try it.

So he hops on kbb.com. Does it up. It came back with $7,995.

I had to really try hard not to laugh. He says 'huh'.

So we go back out to his desk, he goes and talks to the manager, and comes back and says the manager is working on it, let's talk financing.

Mistake by me: letting him move the discussion.

So that's when I told him about my a-plan pin. He leavs to print out the invoice and talk to the manager.

He returns with the invoice (ie a-plan pricing sheet) and a new offer for the trade-in - $2-$3k.

I was shocked. I was like what is this. He says that's all my manager is willing to do for your trade-in.

I pointed out that 35 minutes ago you walked in with a sheet saying $4400.

He says that was just a printout, and that wasn't remotely what they were offering. He says the vehicle, since it is now over 100k miles, cannot be financed by someone purchasing it from them, so it's worth next to nill for them. It is also the older body type (it's a '98). So the most they'll give me is $2k-$3k for it. He then also states that was the amount it was appraised at.

I asked by whom. He said the dealership's staff. I asked to see the appraisal. He called in to his manager, saying that I wanted to see the appraisal, and his manager told him I could not see it.

At that point, I was fairly upset, and fed up. As soon as the a-plan pin is mentinoed this dealership (IMHO) dropped the trade in considerably, enough that they knew there's no way I'd take the deal.

I tell him fine. Take the 6700, less the 4400. split the difference, add it in, and let's go with that (~$5500), and we've got a deal.

No dice. He didn't want to do that. $2-$3k tops he says.

I ended up walking out. I've never had someone drop the trade in price once the a-plan is discussed.

Yes, I didn't have the trade-in price in writing, and obviously that was my big mistake.

I've never been lowballed (again, IMHO) like that at a Ford Dealership before. 99% of my family works for, and has worked for all my life, for Ford (engine plants, mostly in Ohio).

This is just disheartening.

Anyway, I'm wondering what your experiences have been when dealing with Ford Dealerships and the a-plan, and what you think of my description of my ordeal.

Thanks.

Reply to
shane

I can't speak to the treatment you received from the dealer, but I bought a 96 XLT from a friend who was offered $1,250 from the dealer when KBB quoted $4,500-$5,000 (don't remember the exact number). It's condition and mileage were comparable to yours.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Holcomb

It happened to me on my first A-plan deal back in '95. My old Pontiac 6000 was valued at $2200 and they offered me $200, the salesman explained that it was because they couldn't make any money on the sale other than it helps them reach certain goals. He told me to go sell the car and come back. I thrrew a sign on it and had a $1500 offer the next day. I took it and went to the dealer the following day. It only slowed me down by a few days. Your dealer threw a lot of BS at you so I would try to sell it through another forum and take my business elsewhere.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Values must be inflated here in the northeast. Granted my '98 Mountaineer is in good condition and only has 60K on it but I was offered $8K in November for mine.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

These kinds of things are only ordeals if we have if a firm hand in helping make them ordeals.

Bearing in mind that all dealerships are just as much in the business of making money as they are in the business of selling cars, we see that a dealer will offer as little as possible on a trade and charge as much as possible on a sale. If we don't like the offer, we can make a counter-offer or we can leave (I don't ever recall a padlock on the showroom door).

KBB is simply a guideline and may not typify dealers in every area. Some makes/models/years don't fair well as used vehicles in some areas. Our dealership has a glut of three year old SuperDuties...... that very few people want to buy. Most of these wind up on the transporter bound for the auction. There are other models that don't show well on our used car lot......

If the dealer wont move to a deal that we like, we can simply pick up our keys and walk away - to visit the dealer in the next town or on the next corner. Many's the time I've shaken the salesmans hand and said "Thanks, but no, thanks.". Hanging around and dickering may be an ordeal, but usually for the salesman.... he has to please two people and those two people are at opposite ends.....

Every coin has a flip side....

Reply to
Jim Warman

All true. What irked me was them dropping the their trade in offer by $2k once the a-plan was mentioned.

All probably true, too. But they started pulling excuses like the above (kbb,area,glut of vehicles) out *only* after the a-plan was mentioned.

Possibly. I don't know the guy well enough to be able to agree with you

*nor* disagree with you. It's his job, he's stuck with his boss (the sales manager) and he's doing what he's supposed to do, and/or *told* to do. I can't fault the salesperson.

No personal feelings here. Just relating my experience yesterday.

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.

Reply to
shane

counter-offer

Reply to
Sy Cohen

Rule #1 - Don't trade in your old vehicle, sell it yourself. My experience is that, with no trade, the dealer will quote a little over invoice, say $400 or so. Remember that they get a holdback too, so if they charge $400 over invoice, they are making $2,000 or so on the vehicle. That is certainly plenty if there is no trade.

If you want to trade, the dealer will quote sticker price and allow wholesale book on the trade. Last time I priced a vehicle this way, I told the dealer I was giving him the trade and he agreed. We then agreed on a no-trade price about the same as he quoted with trade.

D>just remember- when you walk into any auto showroom, you are in a swamp and

Reply to
Big Shoe

I learned a long time ago that I really don't care what they will give me for a trade-in.

My only question is: How many dollars do you want. We negotiate from there.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Personally, I've always felt the best way to do this is to hide the vehicle you want to trade - tel lthem there's no trade-in if they ask. Get the best price you can for the vehicle. THEN ask if they want a trade-in. At this point, you've already locked them into a price for the new car

- they won't change that if they want a sale. Now, you're discussing the trade-in's value, which has nothing to do with the new car's price, and won't affect that at all (and don't let the dealer make your trade-in alter the new car's price!). If you and them can't come to an agreement on the trade-in, you have a decision to make: walk, buy the new car and sell the trade-in somewhere else, or take their deal.

Personally, we use our vehicles up; we currently have a '92 Sport that's worth (private sale) about $600US. I can't honestly see a dealership even considering it as a trade-in; they'd just wholesale it (for $150-200 tops). It just isn't worth their time hassling over it at all. The '92 F-250 we traded for the 99 Expedition had over 120K miles; resale value was a few grand, not worth getting in a huff about.

As for the KBB, well, they value any vehicle as an "estimate"; there are a lot of factors they can't account for. Right now, Explorers with over 100K miles are a glut on the market, moreso in some places than others. The owner *always* values his trade-in more than the dealer does. That dealer may have just taken in three others in better shape than yours, and just didn't want any more.

Bottom line, if you don't like the offered deal, leave. When I bought the 91 F-250, I (almost) left twice; it lowered the price considerably! :-)

Reply to
Bill Funk

Well said.... dealerships like folding green. Cash in the bank is an absolute. Another old car, either on the lot or being coaxed onto the transporter, are variables.... they can turn into a white elephant or a money pit (no matter how well the PO thinks he/she cared for it) or it could turn into someones dream car.... but there's no way to be sure.

Something that I just realized...... Shane is p*ssed at the dealer for changing stuff in mid-stroke - but I notice that Shane isn't above changing stuff in mid-stroke, either. If someone isn't "up front" with me, I seriously doubt that I can be "up front" with him.

"America, what a country!!!!"

Reply to
Jim Warman

How so? I don't see that I *changed anything*.

You are right, however. They did change their offer (which they then said wasn't an offer). They also tried feeding me a bunch of BS regarding how to use the KBB website (I contacted KBB, the Dealership's wrong).

It was a combination of it all that made me walk out, the most important of which was the drop in the trade-in mide-stroke, as you put it.

Shane

Reply to
shane

"So that's when I told him about my a-plan pin. He leavs to print out the invoice and talk to the manager."

You weren't up front with them..... why would you expect any different in return? Just because someone works in the auto industry does not automatically make them a schill. However, I have seen enough (make that more than enough) customers that refuse to divulge the whole story....... factoids that could knock 2 or 3 hours off the diagnostics because "I didn't think it mattered..."....... even to the point of leaving out things because "it will keep the costs down....".

I didn't realize that honesty was a subjective consideration. My bad....

Reply to
Jim Warman