Leaking clutch line

My clutch line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder is leaking. It is leaking where it screws into the slave cylinder. I noticed this while bleeding the clutch. After I pumped the pedal a few times to build up pressure I noticed that fluid was slowly seeping through the threads in the connection. Should I get a new line or will a couple of wraps of Teflon tape work?

Will

Reply to
wbowlin

Hey Will. My 87 YJ did the same thing last year. I just replaced the line. Has not leaked since. 87 Yj 33" 46 Willy's 50 Willy's Pick up

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Teflon tape won't work because it's the flare on the line that does the sealing against the inverted flare at the bottom. Try tightening the line more, but back it off 1/4 turn first.

Reply to
carnuck

Teflon tape works well on the threads of flare fittings. It is a lubricant that allows the fitting to tighten easily which compresses the flare nicely. I use it all the time.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> If I had a nickel for every flare joint I have taken apart, that had teflon
Reply to
Mike Romain

If I had a nickel for every flare joint I have taken apart, that had teflon tape on the threads...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

A neighbor of my son-in-law used Teflon tape on all the compression fittings in his newly remodeled bathroom.

I helped him with his next project which was replacing his kitchen ceiling.

Reply to
billy ray

There are reasons to hire 'professionals', especially if you have the ability to screw up a Teflon tape job....

I used Teflon tape sometimes dozens of times a day when I worked as a plumber and renovator. It is a lubricant used only on the threads of the fittings so the fitting can tighten tight easily which compresses the O-ring or flare on tight.

'We' then 'test' the fittings before leaving......

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > A neighbor of my son-in-law used Teflon tape on all the compression fittings
Reply to
Mike Romain

OK, I tightened it like you mentioned and it does not appear to be leaking anymore. I bled the system,and the peal got nice and stiff. However, the clutch does not stay stiff after starting the engine. It gets soft within seconds. The clutch is new, end-to-end, minus the hydraulic line. I do not see any leaks anywhere and put teflon tape around the bleeder screw. I did not bench bleed the master, the instructions made no mention of it. Any ideas?

Will

Reply to
wbowlin