Winch Power

What's the recommended minimum for a winch ...going on a fairly stock '85 CJ7? I'm kinda skeptical about a 6000lb Warn ...

I only go mudding/trailing ...no rockcrawling.

Thanks!

Reply to
griffin

I have stalled my Warn 9000i and bent the hook. Mud is like glue.

A 6000 would be fine for rocks or even pull you up a cliff, but in mud I have seen 3 vehicles linked in series (have photos) lined up to get one Cherokee out.

Serious glue....

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain
9000 or 9500lb I'd say.
Reply to
Dave Milne

I think the general "rule of thumb" is 2 times the vehicle weight. Stock CJ-7 is 3000 lbs. then add gear and passengers (hard top, over sized tires, etc.). My modified CJ-7 weighs about 3400 lbs.

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It was easier to use 12 wheels.....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

A winch with an 8,000 lb. capacity has long been considered the minimum capacity recommended and accepted by experienced offroaders for a typical Jeep. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You need a minimum of 8000 pound capacity, and 9000 is much better.

You should think of the the weight equivelence of being stuck in mud. Basically your CJ weighs in at about 3500 pounds, and the stuck-value is another 3500 pounds, so you need at least 7000 pounds capacity. And, you are not always going to be saving yourself, you might tie another Jeep to yours, then recover a Bronco ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Interesting you mention recovering a Bronco, at Coal Creek in TN last spring we goaded a guy in a Bronco to try to get through a mudhole, since he had the tallest tires in our group, but he got stuck. We couldn't winch from the rear because it was a straight drop into the mud, so we had to winch from the front, through about 20 yards or so. For some reason I was the only one who volunteered for winching duty so we doubled back with a snatch block and secured my Jeep with another one strapped behind it. It pulled out OK, but the strain burned off the battery lead on my alternator. I had to clamp the end of the wire back onto the altenator post with a set of locking pliers. Warn HS9500i.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Still got pulled out by a TJ. If I can dig up the pictures of the extraction I'll post the URL.

BTW the 2005 Ford Superduty 4x4's are getting coils and radius arms in on the front axle. Sweet.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Brandy Wood

There's several things that are not worht skimping on and a winch is one of them!

I'd go with a minimum of 9000 and I'd go with one of the better lines of mfrs. like Warn

NT

Reply to
Hey There

I do not understand why some people want to buy just enough winch when for another $100.00 you can go up to a 9000 or 9500.

You mentioned you like mud well that stuff can really graba vehicle and create one hellacious suction grab. Having a little more winch than you'll think you need is a dam good idea.

NT

Reply to
Hey There

Not only that, but it's a damn good idea as well ...

You will never sit around the campfire lamenting the fact that your winch is just Too Damn Big, but if it is too small, you might not get back to the campfire in time to enjoy it.

Reply to
CRWLR