Tires for CJ7 Mudding

I'm going to be getting some new rubber for my '85 CJ7 but I'm a little unsure what to get. I use the Jeep for cruising around the city - altho it isn't my daily driver it will see a good bit of pavement. It will likely be used in the winter as well ...so rain/snow/ice would be nice but not a big necessary. As for the offroading stuff ...I'm not into rockcrawling at all ...just muddy trails. I know crawlers require fat tires for more surface grip but I've heard mixed opinion about mudding. Some say fat is good ...other say skinny is good. I don't want anything too skinny (I don't want it to look like a Unimog ;p) but I also don't want to modify the Jeep chassis/suspension/axles at all. It's all stock under there and I plan to keep it that way. Therefore ...I know the max is 31x10.5x15 ...so what would you guys recommend for size and tire? I've been leaning toward either

31x10.5 or 31x9.5 BFG Mud Terrains but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
griffin

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

My BFG mud terrains get me through twice as much as my daughter's all terrains, wether it's sand, rock or mud, and supprisingly they are a lot quieter on the road then what came with the jeep.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Brandy Wood

Siping?

Reply to
griffin

Look at the bottom of boating shoes (like Sperry Topsiders) where there are hundreds of little cuts in the sole, that is siping. The little sipes cut/molded into tire treads do the same thing, improve traction on slick surfaces. Sipes were invented by a butcher who got tired of slipping on his always slick flooring, really. :)

Jery

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
Brandy Wood

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes that Is what I ment if you want to be politically correct. I ment cut on top of the tread vertically. Next time I will be a little more detailed with information. Thanks for your great assistance.

sincerely,

AnotKnowitall

rockcrawling

Reply to
Brandy Wood

Reply to
Brandy Wood

I went from 10.5 to 9.5 muds and the traction improvement was extreme!

The 9.5's also fit the flares perfect so with them 'not' spinning and/or tossing stuff, 'playing' in the mud almost isn't any fun anymore. ;-(

I mean if I have to clean everything anyway, I want to 'look' muddy at least!

I got seriously bogged into some mud on the weekend and had to winch out and the CJ hardly has a drop showing up top.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

So your saying that for just mudding, the thinner 9.5's are better? I kinda figured this would be the case for basic mud trailing since my dad's tires on his Flathead 4 Willy's were super thin and it was pretty good in the mud. But ya, I know what you mean about the mud-spray. I took some buddies out once in the '88 YJ and even though my tires fit under my flares, the grooves in my tires were in such a way that anytime I hit water or mud, it seemed to spray out sideways like normal but then curl around right into the windshield. It was awesome for drenching the passengers and turning the inside of my Jeep into a mudbath, but the 15 seconds of being completely blind on the windshield wasn't cool.

I'd almost rather a stock fit under my flares anyways as some RCMP here are not so forgiving for the tires sticking out past the flares. So maybe 9.5's it is ...?

Reply to
griffin

There also was a radical snow traction improvement and as you noted, the military Jeeps use tall skinny, so do all the loggers in the bush.

Mike

griff>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Granted, but what about the tread on the bottom? And in the front and rear of the tire?

;-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo