Winter Salt / Northern thread

Hi! I'm new here. I'm from Montreal, Canada and bought a 2002 TJ in May

2006. Every single day I give thanks to the Jeep Gods for this ride. Summer, Snow, fall, all the seasons are heightened by this vehicle. Its like a drug.

Anyways, I'm obsessed with salt on the roads and even though I hose it down when I come home, the next morning there's residue. I taste my Jeep. I'm so scared it will rust like crazy. The previous owner treated it every year, as did I this fall, but I'm still freaking out. I've had

6 or 8 cars in my life, but I've never cared more.....
Reply to
Thoth1126

I think a good coat of wax in the fall helps as well as keeping the vehicle frozen. What I mean by that is the thawing and melting that happens in a heated garage. I think that eats them more than anything.

Mike

Mike Romain

The best you can do, is to oil spray it every year. Wax in the fall, And wash the salt off often. Don't let it build up. Keeping it clean goes a long way. If you leave the carpets in it. I'd make sure to remove it and wash the carpets in the spring. You'd be surprised on the layer of salt the collects under the carpet over a winter. Me, I removed the carpets immediately after buying mine new, never to re install. I also wash the engine compartment every spring using simply green.

That be> Hi! I'm new here. I'm from Montreal, Canada and bought a 2002 TJ in May

Reply to
FrankW

Thanks guys. I've waxed it twice since May. (3 months ago and last Sunday). But yeah the heated garage would subject it to extra corrosion. I'll take the carpets out in the spring. Its really in good shape.

Thoth1126

Just keep what your doing, my '00 TJ has no rust whatsoever on the body, although the underbody has some surface rust.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Cut underbody, replace with undercarriage.

I am in Detroit area, BTW.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Mike is right about the wax. Any vehicle I ever really cared about got a thick coat of good quality paste wax in the fall. Buff it lightly in the fall and buff it to a nice finish in the spring. Be sure to wax all the paint including inside the doors and under the hood. He is also right about the heated garage, your Jeep's worst enemy. When I lived in Montreal, I parked outdoors at work instead of underground. It made a big difference because they use a lot of salt in that city every winter.

I swear by Krown rustproofing. If you get it Krown treated, you can remove the excess oil from the paint using diluted Sunlight dish soap. You can also buy Krown spray bombs at Home hardware, but if you get it done at the Krown shop, give them a few bucks and they will give you a couple of spray cans.

I also agree with FrankW. You would be wise to remove the carpets in the winter. Otherwise, you can use the trough floormats but be sure to empty them with a sponge as they fill up (leave the sponge in the trough). When I get into a vehicle with lots of slush on my boots, I always hang my feet out the door and bang my feet together before putting them on the mat.

Merrill

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
merrill

Do you have any way of convincing women that this is necessary?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Just tell 'em it's a new dance step.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

LOL! Promise to put the toilet seat down if they knock the slush off their boots. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Move west where thanks to the Salmon we dont use salt!

joking!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Tell the Mrs.that it will protect the finish on her shoes.

Reply to
billy ray

Wait till she gets her feet halfway in, and then ask "Is that a mouse?"...

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Whaddya use, then? Teriyaki sauce?

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Hehehe This thread went 0 to funny in 4.6 posts.. I never thought of "leaving the wax" on there in the fall - Smart idea. next time I wash it I'll put a good coat of wax (even inside the doors thanks!) and lightly buff but not fully. And any passenger better make good use of my ugly runner boards for their footwear ;)

Reply to
Thoth1126

Having bailed from the Wets Island 20 years ago and seeing what the Montreal area does to vehicles.

Get your can undercoated with rust check, not krown.. Ive seen 25 year old vehicles protected with rust check, but can't remember seeing any vehicles older then 12 years done with Krown.

I second what Mike said about keeping it out of a heated garage, My parents had a heated garage in Montreal and both vehicles that they kept in it rusted out before they were 5 years old.

Snow

Reply to
Snow

Oh ask Bill to post the pics of what salt and untreated floors turn into... and this was an Ontario XJ. we use a slight bit less salt then Quebec.

Snow..

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
Thoth1126

We digress!

No Earle, I gave up long ago. Women just don't seem to get it when it comes to vehicle maintainance. However, there are exceptions.

I was not impressed with rust check, but I am prepared to give it another try.

Merrill

Earle Hort> ...

Reply to
merrill