How do you all feel about late-90's Cherokees?

My wife just let me know that she'd like one. My TJ has been a good vehicle so far (one year, 12K miles) but it's the first Jeep I've ever owned. I bought the TJ not because I loved the brand, but because it was basically the only thing out there that was, well, a Jeep. I am/was very skeptical of American vehicles, frankly, but the TJ has got e thinking that maybe Jeep is OK.

I've been participating in this group for a couple years now, so I know that generally speaking people do love their Cherokees. I do have some specific questions though...

First, how is longetevity? This will be a Pacific Northwest vehicle, so salt is not an issue. I'd be getting one with a 4.0L engine and probably around

50-70K miles. I'm not even interested if the vehicle won't comfortably make it to 150K, generally speaking.

Second, how is that automatic tranny? It seems to me I have heard of some significant level of tranny issues with the Jeep auto. Again, if it isn't gonna be a 150K mile tranny, at LEAST, I am not interested. I can't afford a tranny rebuild.

Third, what axle/gearing packages are out there? I didn't pay attention to this with my TJ and ended up with a 3.07-geared D35. I love my TJ, and just had it regeared to 4.11, but I like to know what packages are out there so I might get lucky. Did they put many Track-Loks on Cherokees? D44's?

Fourth, how about the transfer case? Full-time or part-time 4wd better? This would not be used "hard"; it's gonna be a family-hauler that will see some rougher terrain than malls, certainly, but i won't be pushing it as hard as I do my TJ. It'll get used, haul trailers and boats and go on rough roads... Full-time 4wd would be GREAT if and only if it still means I have a reliable, tough transfer case that is good to go till... you got it... 150K miles .

Anything else I should look for? I am seeing 99's and 2000's with decent miles for $8000 to $9000, and that's about where I am aiming.

Thanks!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

I had a 92 with over 230,000 miles on it and it still ran great and didn't burn any oil when I sold it! It had the 4.0 in it. Great engine. Kidda wish I had kept it!

Had the auto tranny too. Was still going strong at 230,000.

Look for at least a Chrysler 8.25, should have 3.55 gears in it. Not sure if the newer ones had the option of a D44.

People seem to perfer the part time 231 unless you are doing a lot of driving in snow country. Plus the 231 will be more common to find.

I have a 2000 now. You will love it, or should I say your wife will. No fair trying to trade her for the TJ now! Ha...Ha..

Reply to
DeepDiver