Re: Top speed

What is the fastest you have driven your Maxima up to? I have a 2k and hit

>130. It seemed like it wanted to go more, but it must have a limiter. I >think the SE does 143 or something close. It sure felt damn good though at >130. It certainly had no problem getting up to that speed. > > >

my 95 max w/ auto trans seems to top out around 125-130 you can tell it can do more must have a governor

Reply to
95 MAX 145k

I can vouch for the fact that my father's 95 GXE manual had a governor around 117 mph. It would get there quite easily in 4th and then you'd feel a total lack of power and wouldn't be able to give it anymore gas until you'd lost a ton of speed. I don't think the GLEs were limited, but they may have been. I know the SEs are not and a manual SE 95+ will do 140+. My 2000 se with a 5 speed redlines in 4th around 125. I wasn't planning on even going that fast so I just slowed down at that point, but I would like to see it hit 140 one day.

Reply to
Matthew Brooks

Nissan programs a speed limiter in the engine computer based on the speed rating of the original equipment tires. GXE comes with tires rated for 117 MPH, GLE comes with "H" rated tires (130). I'm not sure what they put on SE. If it is "V" rated, then I think they can leave it ungoverned because the car can't outrun the tires.

Just another example of "big brother" watching out for us in so many ways.

Reply to
E. Meyer
125-130 Man what are lugging around in the trunk. Or you better take that baby and have it checked out. My 99 SE with 250lbs of audio in the trunk topped out at 135. That's with 18 inch wheels. I could probably get 140 with 15 inch wheels, no audio, and $1.50 in the gastank.
Reply to
C M

Reply to
95 MAX 145k
95 - 99 has the exact same engine, VQ30DE with no changes to intake. Exhaust was slightly different 97-99, but nothing that would be remoltely noticable in HP.

Also, all our cars could get to the 142 we've all seen, you just need to shift it properly. Especially the auto. You have to keep the car in 3rd gear (overdrive off) until redline, because the engine doesn't have enough power to get the car accelerating in 4th gear when you just floor it and let the auto shift. When you keep overdrive off til redline, and then unclick it to shift the car to 4th, it'll land in a better RPM with enough power to get the car past the 125ish. Also, the GXE is limited to 110 because it came from the factory with lower speed rated tires.

Nick

Reply to
Nick