Gears really help with over-sized tires on '97 Wrangler?

Just put 31" tires on my '97 Wrangler Sport and have totally lost 5th gear and lots of pep and power. I have read on this forum the MANY MANY complaints about this and figured it was coming. According to the mechanic at the four-wheeling shop I have 3.53 (?) gears now and he suggest I go to

4.10 or 4.11s. My question is, before I shell out $1500, will this really get my power and pep back in my Sport? If it will, I'll drop it off for him on Monday, but wanted to check with the experts out there, before dropping that much cash on a "maybe" solution. Thanks for any feedback. Also, does anyone have a pointer to a site that will get me some good information on other performance improvements I can make on my TJ (headers, cat-back system, chip, etc.).

Thanks Again....Chris Red '97 Wrangler Sport

Reply to
iH2doU

I don't believe TJ Sport's came with 3.55's, in '97, either 3.07 or 3.73's, most likely 3.07. If he is going to charge you $1500 for a gear swap, find another shop, it should be closer to half that. 4.11 may be OK, but when I had

3.73 and 31" tires it was fine.
  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo