XJ parking brake trouble

Hi All, I'm a newbie to the group so here is my question. I've got a '89 Cherokee that just failed the NJ state inspection 'cause my parking brake doesn't hold enough. The adjustor nut is rusted to @#$! underneath so is there a way i can disconnect the cable from the lever on the inside??

Also, are windshield cracks inherent to the unibody? I've already replace the windshield once and its got stress cracks again. Help...

Thanks, Tiina

Reply to
Tiina

You will have to remove the rear brake drums to release the cables.

Are the cables seized so the arm doesn't pull?

Otherwise maybe you just need to manually adjust the emergency brake. This is done at the back wheels, not on the cable.

The emergency brake adjuster is a star wheel inside the bottom of the drums. If you have good rear shoes and a working automatic adjuster, (cable and star wheel) then you can just go in reverse, hit the brakes, then forward, then reverse and hit the brakes again. Every change will use reverse to adjust the star wheels. When you do this the e-brake arm will get lower and lower until it grabs good.

If this doesn't work, then you can pull the rubber grommet out of the back of the brake, jack up the wheel and adjust it manually by turning the star wheel.

If the star wheel won't turn, it needs to be removed and loosened up so it works. Anti seize is a good thing on the threads so it keeps working.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hi Tiina, welcome to the group! The crack is probably from poor installation or preparation. If you remove the windshield trim you should be able to see tiny rubber blocks in the lower channel of the frame. These are spacers to prevent the windshield from resting on the steel frame. Another possibility is rust inside the windshield frame, the swelling of the metal will push against the windshield and cause it to crack with even the slightest/normal flex of the vehicle. I wish had a camera handy when I took my Cherokee in to re-seal the windshield because it was leaking. I asked them to remove the windshield and redo the base seal. While trying to remove the old caulking the windshield shifted a hair and cracked. With all the old caulking removed we found swelled/rusted areas causing an uneven surface - we fixed it and he sold me a new windshield for $80 and didn't charge a dime for labour for the mishap. Very decent of him and I was happy share the responsibility. The swelling occurred on both sides of the bottom channel.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD