YJ tow rating, why so low?

We have a 1990 Wrangler YJ with 4.2 six, manual trans. I've been looking for tow ratings and all I see for Wranglers is 2000lbs. Why is the Wrangler so low? Is it a weak frame thing, or a short wheelbase thing, or a vehicle weight thing, or what? The brakes on our Jeep seem really good, so it would not seem to be that. Power might be a little sluggish, but I don't have to go over 55mph.

Is there any way to beef this up to about 4000lbs? I'd like to tow our

21ft boat....safely, of course.

Rick Sink

Reply to
Rick Sink

It's a short wheelbase thing. I have seen people towing pretty large boats on the highway with swb Jeeps. They are nuts. You need a Suburban like mine, or a Bronco like Bill's, or at least a Cherokee for this.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Short wheelbase, mostly.

Reply to
TJim

...or, even better, a Grand Wagoneer!!

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's a short wheel base AND very light vehicle issue.

Let us know when you want to take that boat out with your YJ so we can stay at home that day.

Reply to
CRWLR

From what I was told The vehicle towing "must" be heavier than the towed vehicle.

Not so for tractor trailers but that's a different ball of wax :-)

Rick S> We have a 1990 Wrangler YJ with 4.2 six, manual trans. I've been

Reply to
FrankW

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:02:14 -0500, "TJim" shared the following:

My CJ5 did really well towing home my pig roaster today. :-D

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You DO know what we call sushi in the South?

Bait!

Reply to
PLB49

travis spake thusly in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, but was that with or with out pig? And how big of a tusker did you have on the grille? More than 2500 lbs?

-Fred W

Reply to
FredW

Approximately 10/30/03 14:22, PLB49 uttered for posterity:

Well that's because you all just don't know how to *cook* the stuff!!!

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The short wheelbase and high center of gravity means that the trailer gets more leverage on the YJ than other vehicles. The 4.2 has plenty of horsepower for mid range towing, the brakes are fine, but the ability to control it in a panic situation is very lacking. Think of driving down the freeway and the guy in front of you slams on the brakes. You have to dive for the next lane over. Your trailer will just spin you around or (gulp) flip you over.

Cheers.

Rick S> We have a 1990 Wrangler YJ with 4.2 six, manual trans. I've been

Reply to
Roy

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:19:22 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

Here you go...

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
twaldron

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:07:47 GMT, twaldron shared the following:

The one on the right in this one:

't I a handsome feller? :-DI look nothing like that now, by the way. That was taken about 3years ago.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
twaldron

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:19:02 GMT, twaldron shared the following:

Were are y'all's mug shots? The newsgroup I used to read daily (and still do, actually) had a website or two set up with pictures of the regulars' vehicles and even pictures of the newsgroup participants. Does this newsgroup have anything like that set up?

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:37:51 -0500, travis shared the following:

were=where. *sigh*