2000 Kia misses

I noted on my 2000 Kia Sephia, with 40,000 miles, that after starting it up, it began chugging (missing) and check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they wanted $130 to change plugs and spark plug wires. I felt this was unacceptable so looked into the problem myself. Spent $20 for four NGK platinum plugs and $20 for aftermarket (2 plug wire set). Runs fine now except never was happy with the fuel economy. Kia recommends changing plugs and wires at 30,000miles, which I though was kind of premature, but after looking at the plug wire tubes, I understand why. Found a pin hole burnt through the tube shorting the spark to ground. Good thing it wasn't one of the two coil/plug combination part. That could have cost me. I mention this because owners with similar problems might want to check the sparkplug tubes first.

Tom from Pensacola, Florida

Reply to
noname

Most aftermarket wires will be even worse than the Kia wires. Actually, I believe the wires are redesigned from the original to reduce the problem you describe.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I heard that the NGK wires were good replacements, perhaps even better than Kia wires? Have you had any experience with the NGK wires...Im going to be installing a set soon.

Reply to
IndyOptima

I got about 60,000 out of the originals on my 97 sephia. The BP engine in the 97's was basically a mazda miata motor, and guess what..the

1.8l miata's have the same problem with the plug wires going bad. Mine had a tiny little hole in the tube just as you describe, the giveway was the rubber around it was burned white from the arcing going through it.

I never bothered with the platinum plugs. I usually just get the bosch super plugs and run em 30,000 miles. 99 cents each is hard to beat.

Chris

Reply to
Hal