2000 Kia Sephia rear brakes.

Does anyone know how to change the rear brakes on this vehicle. I guess that they are shoes. I see two crosshead screws that seem to be retaining the drum. Do these have to be removed with some type of impact driver to remove the drum and access the brake shoes?

Thanks for your knowledge

Reply to
noname

Exactly. If you don't have an impact driver, you should be able to pick one up at Sears for about $20-30.

Reply to
hyundaitech

You can get them out with a #3 phillips screwdriver. I don't recommend hammering on a shaft supported by bearings. Using an impact driver is not necessary in my opinion. I use a large cresent wrench which I am able to tighten down around the handle of the screwdriver and they will come out with little resistance. You MUST use a #3 phillips...using a #2 will destroy the screws. Pull the e-brake to keep the drum from turning while you do this.

Once you get the two screws out, release the e-brake and thread the two screws you just removed into the threaded holes on the face of the drum. Tighten them evenly, alternating between the two and they will press the drum off the hub. Once it breaks free the drum will slide right off.

Chris

Reply to
Hal