2001 Sportage shifter knob removal

I've got a 2001 Sportage. How the heck do I remove the black plastic shifter knob? (5-speed manual).

The 12345R plastic piece on top has come unglued in the hot Texas sun, and superglue won't hold it anymore, so I want to just take off the knob and replace it with a generic one.

I've looked at kiatechinfo, and it just says "unscrew the knob". Do I just need to find a big enough wrench and twist the entire thing left? From the pictures on kiatechinfo, the aluminum "collar" below it stays on the shift lefter shaft.

Reply to
Bill Bradford

There's a 14mm nut under the knob. You'll need to loosen the nut a little down from the knob, then you can unscrew the knob. I can often unscrew the knob without doing this just by getting twisting really hard.

Reply to
hyundaitech