2003 Sedona Shifter Noise

This problem started today. Has anyone experienced a noise when shifting to P from any gear? It happens when the brake is released after putting the car in park. It sounds like a small motor coming from the shift area on the centre console. I will be calling the dealership tomorrow to make an appointment. Our Sedona is a 2003 EX with 2000KM on it. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
SDP

I believe it is the shift lock mechanism activating so that you cannot take the car out of park without pressing the brake. You should also hear it disengage when you push the brake again.

Reply to
Robert Henry

Good idea, in fact that was my first idea when my wife mentioned it, but it only started yesterday and we have had the van since July. It also only makes the noise going into park when you take your foot off the brake. Any other ideas. Steve

Reply to
SDP

That click noise is normal and installed as a safety concern so that you will only be able to gear your car provided that you are pressing the brake pedal. You will hear it click and click on the gearshift knob while pressing and releasing the brake pedal in P. A good thingie to have. Best regards...

Reply to
Selcuk FIRINCIOGLU

I have the same in my Maxima.

Kai Ponte

Bur it's not a clicking noise. The sound is like a small electric motor starting for about a second. If it is part of the shift interlock mechanism I should have heard it when the van was new. I didn't hear it until Wednesday night. Any other ideas.

Reply to
SDP

Like what? That you weren't very observant until now? Maybe the new hearing aid prescription is working?

Hold the flame....yes, I am being facetious. ;)

It is probably the shift interlock mechanism. The message is that other owners can hear the interlock function, and your van is just joining the team. Now that the weather is changing, the expansion and contraction and changes in temperature may have affected how it works. The grease in the assembly may be worn thinner now, allowing the friction of operation to create more noise. In fact, the friction and effectiveness of the lubricant may mean the motor is working harder to engage the interlock, resulting in more noise.

That said, does the interlock work, or is the motor and assembly louder because it isn't doing any work?

Reply to
Robert Henry

Reply to
schucha