2003 Kia Sedona filter

I own a 2003 Sedona since new. I have been noticing more and more noise and less and less air volume coming from the air vents in the car. Is there an air filter for the recirculating AC system like in some other cars? I looked in the manual for the car and it says nothing about a pollen or dust filter in the system. It is a 'drumming' noise that is common for a squirrel cage blower that is being stalled in air flow. Sounds like something is clogged up but I don't see anything. The intake outside in front of the driver is clear.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The maintenance manual actually lists a "time-mileage" schedule frame for a cabin filter. But I have never been able to find one, and the Kia techs I have worked with do not seem to think there is one.

I have gotten the impression that the blower fans used in the Sedonas are not all that impressive. So it may actually be going bad. But without seeing a dealer tech, I'm not sure there is an easy way to find out.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Ditto here.

What the OP describes sounds similar to a problem my parents are having with their Chevy Suburban-- noise like a lot of air is blowing but very little is actually coming from the vents. I wonder if there might be a climate control door (to redirect air) that isn't functioning properly.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

No, the sound is more like a stalled blower trying to blow against a closed port or trying to suck through a closed port. But, you might be right that a door is stuck in the wrong position. When I go from inside to outside air to sound does change.

Reply to
Tom

A cabin air filter may be in the outside air intake, visible with the hood up and perhaps a cover lifted. Or it will be under the dash in one or both of two general locations: . Above the blower in the back section of the outside air intake, a location well protected from moisture. . Between the blower and the rest of the HVAC case.

If the owner's manual doesn't tell you the location, and you can't see it with the hood open, check behind the glovebox--perhaps you'll see an obviously removable (with a spring-tab or similar retainer) rectangular plastic cover. Next, look under the dash (on both the driver's and passenger's sides) for a removable plastic cover in the HVAC case. If you can remove its cover, look inside the HVAC case

Reply to
MikeT

Sounds easy IF they hadn't encased the entire underside of the dash in plastic shrouds! I will have to drop the glove box down. That's where my filters are in my Honda. I looked over the top and only see a couple of electrical plugs. One is yellow, which would be for the airbags.

Reply to
Tom