2006 Kia Sedona-Update

He knows nothing, but the onboard computer does log max RPMs, which are reached in lower gears, but a rev limiter keeps them at safe levels in manual mode.

Robert B

2006 Sedona EX
Reply to
Bobsprit

Here's the OBDII standard required on all cars sold in the US:

Here's a list of what it outputs:

Note vehicle speed is a parameter that it records.

You say I have no car - how do you know that?

You say I am a troll - yet all that I say is true and helpful.

Now you say I know nothing about what is recorded on a car - yet I'm backed up by industry standards and law!

Now let's take a close look at the Limited KIA waranty. Care to guess what it says? hmmm?

Reply to
Gilligan

In case that's not enough here's the actual output codes for KIA:

There are two separate codes for vehicle speed.

Reply to
Gilligan

Reads as follows:

S. 1422 A. 2628

2005-2006 Regular Sessions

S E N A T E - A S S E M B L Y

January 28, 2005 ___________

IN SENATE -- Introduced by Sens. SABINI, DIAZ, M. SMITH -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Transportation

IN ASSEMBLY -- Introduced by M. of A. LAFAYETTE -- read once and referred to the Committee on Transportation

AN ACT to amend the vehicle and traffic law, in relation to requiring that every new motor vehicle be equipped with an event data recorder

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM- BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

1 Section 1. Section 375 of the vehicle and traffic law is amended by 2 adding a new subdivision 52 to read as follows: 3 52. EVENT DATA RECORDER. EVERY MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTERED IN THIS STATE 4 AND MANUFACTURED OR ASSEMBLED AFTER DECEMBER THIRTY-FIRST, TWO THOUSAND 5 SIX SHALL BE EQUIPPED WITH AN "EVENT DATA RECORDER". AN "EVENT DATA 6 RECORDER" SHALL MEAN A DEVICE WHICH SHALL BE IN OPERATION AT ALL TIMES 7 THAT THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS BEING OPERATED AND WHICH SHALL RECORD AND 8 STORE DATA WHICH WILL INDICATE AT ANY TIME, WHILE THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS 9 IN OPERATION, INCLUDING ANY TIME THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A 10 COLLISION OF ANY KIND, WHETHER THE BRAKES WERE ENGAGED, THE AIR BAGS 11 WERE DEPLOYED, THE SEAT BELTS WERE BUCKLED AND THE SPEED AT WHICH THE 12 MOTOR VEHICLE WAS BEING OPERATED. 13 S 2. This act shall take effect on the first of November next succeed- 14 ing the date on which it shall have become a law, except that any rules 15 and regulations necessary for the timely implementation of this act on 16 its effective date shall be promulgated on or before such date.

Now what were you saying about speed not being recorded?

hmmm?

Reply to
Gilligan

"Gilligan" wrote in news:nNydnctjZeAKhvjYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That is a short-term recording of a few seconds before a crash so they can tell how fast you were going at that time. It does not keep a record of your speeds for the life of the car. If you crashed your car going

117 MPH then the voiding of your warranty would be low on your list of worries.
Reply to
Jeff

Now what were you saying about speed not being recorded? >>>

The EDR systems is triggered by an impact. Top speeds are not recorded otherwise. Have you ever been right about anything????

A smarter troll would have been to question my speed claim. My Garmin C340 GPS has it saved under Max Speed, 117 MPH.

Gilly, go away now.

Robert Kia Sedona EX

Reply to
Bobsprit

You're absolutely right Jeff, that is the ERD for the airbag system. The ERD for the airbags does not interface to the OBD-II computer system which is separate. The OBD-II system holds data for diagnostic, maintenance and warranty purposes. I've already posted the OBD-II outputs for the KIA Sedona in one of the above meassages. In essence then the KIA has two systems that record vehicle speed. The OBD-II systems records it in memory until it is reset. The memory can be reset by disconnecting the battery, which erases the volatile but not the non-volatile memory. I can look up the factory manual specs for more details and post a link if you are interested.

Reply to
Gilligan

Gilligan

That top speed is really in question. The Michelin Energy LX4 tires (235

60R17 with the T rating) have a maximum speed of 118 mph with an overinflation of 3 psi, otherwise with no overinflation it is 100 mph. Since your van has remote tire pressure sensors, a computer and the OBS-II system it would cut fuel flow to slow the vehicle down so not to overspeed the tires.

Did you add extra air to them to go that fast?

Says so here:

Gilligan

Even if it was recorded, a clause about excess speed would either have to be specifically stated in the warranty or the cause of any damage claimed would have to be directly linked to the excess speed. Otherwise, the warranty would not be voided.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

You claim your Garmin GPS recorded 117 mph.

Yet quoted from the Garmin website:

** Speed Limitation Garmin products designed for non-aviation use will display a maximum speed of approximately 90 knots or 103 MPH. This unit will not display speed or position information if this limit is exceeded.

Just check and see:

Gilligan

Even odder yet is the KIA Sedona spec of 108 mph maximum speed. How did you get it to 117 mph with 100mph rated tires (standard psi), it could only go

108mph and the Garmin GPS is limited to only 103 mph?

Did you add the GPS reading to the speedometer reading?

Nothing you say adds up.

You claim the car is perfect yet, by your admission, the dealer had to replace the entire car.

You claim speed is not recorded, yet the EDR and OBD-II records it and NY law requires it be recorded.

You claim to have reached 117 mph in it by the Garmin GPS. Garmin says their non aviation units don't go above 103 mph. The tires aren't rated above 100 mph (factory psi) and the on board computer won't allow it to exceed tire rated speed. Then the spec is 108 mph tops for the car.

Your gas mileage claims are suspect too, especially for driving 80-117 mph.

Are you going to give this car away as a gift as you claimed you did with your new Subaru Tribeca?

Will it sink and be refloated as you claimed your 36 foot racing sail yacht was?

Will you be going in and out of it as you claim to have done to all those Women Russian Olympians?

Will it appear in a second movie that you direct with the cast from Star Trek?

Will it sport American made sails that are really made in China?

Will you win another 37K in the lottery in it?

Will you lose another big expensive diamond ring in it?

Or will you just drive it to one of the many apartment complexes that you own in New York City?

Will you continue to call anyone who questions you and is backed up by traceable facts "a troll".

How many of the 30,000 or so posts you have on the internet were not trolls?

Let the reader beware!

Reply to
Gilligan

The Garmin c340 does not have the same top speed limitation you cited for the model 120. The advertising copy for the model you cited was probably written long before Garmin started making automotive specific units. The Kia Sedona could easily acheive speeds of 117 mph even with the motor removed... Find a cliff and give it a push!

That sounds perfect to me. If your car was defective and they gave you a brand new replacement, I think you might consider that pretty close to perfect as well.

The NY law you cited does not effect autos made prior to December

31st, 2006. You may want to re-read it!

It is probably not a true reading. I sometimes get very high max speed readings on the GPS on my sailboat as the result of the unit being dropped, or suddenly moved.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Nahhh! Gilligan's no troll! That's why he just posted the top speed of the 2003 Sedona Diesel.

Oh, he's no troll! Did he just write that the Garmin C340 only tracks speeds to 103 MPH??????!!!!

Good lord. I'm out of this thread until I have something new to post. Heading for the 12K mark and no problems with this van, folks.

Robert B

2006 Sedona EX
Reply to
Bobsprit

I'm curious, what is the top speed of your model Sedona?

I believe that Garmin published that on their web page. Can you show otherwise?

Why not post some specifications? Everything that this Gilligan guy posted is traceable to published sources. If he were wrong you would certainly have something new to add.

At least they got it right the second time.

Todd Nozzle

2005 Toyota Sienna, flawless the first time!
Reply to
Todd Nozzle

Let's see proof - anything from Garmin stating top speed for the unit?

True and if he had to go through 10, 100 or 1,000 cars to get a perfect one that would be perfect too!

That was a bill, not a law. You may want to re-read it.

Those are not readings of actual speed. Those reading are a result of the GPS circuit losing lock or slipping cycles on the DPSK demodulation.

But never the less, speed is recorded, the GPS didn't read an actual 117 mph and the Sedona can't go that fast.

Even with help, RB still goes under. Why? Maybe if he stuck to facts, truth and full disclosure the things wouldn't go so badly.

I just hope that no one makes a bad decision involving a lot of money based on what he spews.

Todd Nozzle

Reply to
Todd Nozzle

No proof needed, Gilligan.

Does this number look familiar to you?

71.196.248.53

It should, since all your trolling posts as Gilligan and Todd Nozzle came from that singular IP number.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Sure! Headers for Todd Nozzle the TROLL and Gilligan the TROLL posted below for comparision. They both came from the same place!

Path: news1.newsguy.com!lois.pathlink.com!rex!extra.newsguy.com!lotsanews.com!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!216.196.98.140.MISMATCH!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.comcast.com!news.comcast.com.POSTED!not-for-mail NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:21:43 -0600 Reply-To: "Todd Nozzle" From: "Todd Nozzle" Newsgroups: alt.autos.kia References:

Subject: Re: 2006 Kia Sedona-Update Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:21:36 -0700 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962 X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original Message-ID: Lines: 105 NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.196.248.53 X-Trace: sv3-ScdqLyP8SXO5nfOR+40Ir0XM/5XHMmN3Fk7Xwjh6Eu/H0CdQddJni1hdWoJ31OItR7IpQbbAbuCEcWm!CK5vzlKDdBJxOSRUR/gu7EpSZlR5lqt69/LK3TmCpkMyC8rrXKNEpQp4HS6LmT/AaZeX22aJsRkS!dQZ6MAR6aflVFng= X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net X-DMCA-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly X-Postfilter: 1.3.32 Xref: news1.newsguy.com alt.autos.kia:5308

Subject: Re: 2006 Kia Sedona-Update Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:58:03 -0700 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869 X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962 Message-ID: Lines: 74 NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.196.248.53 X-Trace: sv3-E6cKxh69Ezn9JEGpvM+USLCzFSylxVH/cSD5NUm6RvNnZkVaqXqqlvBIYa4MjEzv+i8LVlI6fFDa2q0!dTeoIFq1u98kl7CSRVbwJqeNFtaYmuQCokpQc/7fcNc544q1zfXJBvcqmUxJCxw2UT0yVPLUGVvH!z6X8jtTxhPP5sQU= X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net X-DMCA-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly X-Postfilter: 1.3.32 Xref: news4.newsguy.com alt.autos.kia:5303

You are welcome!

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan
71.196.248.53

It should, since all your trolling posts as Gilligan and Todd Nozzle came from that singular IP number. >>>

No one was paying attention to him anyway. Just about everything he posted is wrong and anyone can see for themselves. The thing about the GPS only showing up to 103 MPH is pretty funny. And he only looks dumb suggesting that the Kia can't do 117. Actually it can do 125-130. By the way, he also admitted elsewhere that he doesn't even own a sienna, which is a very nice van. Edmunds rated the Sienna 3rd behind the Honda and Kia Sedona which is great for a van about to be replaced.

Robert B Kia Sedona EX NY

Reply to
Bobsprit

I wouldn't have even known about this thread if Gilly - Troll hadn't announced in another group that he was "giving you the beating of your life" over in alt.autos.kia I'm quite surprised Scotty, JG, and DSK didn't take the bait.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan