Re: 2003 Kia Sedona Noise

It's good to hear we're not the only Sedona owners hearing this noise. Yes, it's like a "huge slide whistle"--it starts at a low pitch and quickly rises in a 3- or 4-second "whoop" noise. I swear it sounds as if it starts underneath the van, toward the back, and moves under us to the front as the pitch rises. This is the absolute weirdest noise I've ever heard out of any vehicle. It only happens to us with the A/C on, so I'm assuming somthing strange is going on in that system. Sorry, can't provide any more insight than that.

I too have noticed this problem on my '03 Sedona LX. I have done quite a

bit of field testing to try and narrow it down to a describeable, reproducible problem.

Here are my findings: > *At first the noise only occurred when the front ac was on and the rear

was off, though as time has passed it now does it when the front is on and the rear is off or on 1.

*It didn't make the noise nearly as much (possibly not at all) during the winter. > *It definitely makes the noise louder as the outdoor temperature rises. > *It does not make the noise when the car is relatively cold. After it has

been driven awhile, the noise starts up. (It's my theory that by the time the tech looks at it, it is cool enough that there is no noise.)

*I have had the expansion valve replaced and a more insulated coolant line

installed. Neither have had any effect on the noise.

*There is no noise when the A/C button is off. > *There is no whoosh to the noise, it is more like a huge slide

whistle...like a tube filling up with fluid.

> That's all I have to report on it. It annoys the heck out of me. I've

been in for service on it 6 times and each time they "fix" something, but the noise lives on.

> Any ideas? >
Reply to
Carl Graziano

Could it be cooling gaz (R134a) that is going from back to front, enabled by the fact that there is too little gaz in the system.

I had the AC of my 2003 Sorento repaired. It seemed that there was only 430 gramme gaz in the system while it had to be 680 gramme. After refilling the system the AC is working as it should. Air of 4 degrees celcius is now coming out of it while before the repair it was only 15 degrees celcius with an outside temp. of 21 degrees.

Just my 2 cents, Peter

Carl Graziano wrote:

Reply to
pjotr

Is there an A/C line that runs under the van or in the floor?

Reply to
cgrazian

I AM A SERVICE MANAGER FOR A KIA DEALER THE NOISE IS FROM THE FRONT EXPAINSION VALVE THERE IS A UPDATED PART TO FIX IT COVERED TO 60K MILES

Reply to
home

How do I go about getting this fixed? What do I tell my Kia dealer when I take the van in and will the dealer know what I'm talking about? (In other words, should all dealers be aware of this problem?) Also, what do you mean when you say the updated part is "covered to 60K miles"? Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Carl Graziano

Reply to
home

My Kia has proven to be a likeable, good value auto in general, but not completely. There is a problem at about 2500 RPM with surging and balking in all gears and only at that engine speed. Twice the Kia dealer mechanic has looked at the problem and said that nothing can be done about it, although at the last visit he adjusted something and it slightly changed the engine behavior but did nothing to correct the problem.

The car now has about 4000 miles on it and this annoying problem is not going away. I am open to suggestions as to how to make this Kia perform like the new vehicle that it is.

Help!

Reply to
Oh

Thanks--the info is much appreciated!