Anyone use synthetic oil?

I was considering running like Mobil 1 synthetic in my Sedona... I know its probably not neccesary, but its gonna have to last us a LONG time and I can get the stuff for a decent price through my work...

Thoughts?

Reply to
John Reece

Fred Mehlos

I don't know what the difference in cost is, but here's the most recent summary of the report I got from Blackstone:

"As you probably know, the problem with collecting a sample from the drain container (rather than the stream of oil as it drains) is that you run the risk of contamination from foreign oil. Fortunately, we found nothing in this sample that would indicate the oil has been contaminated or that your Kia has any mechanical problems to speak of. Wear looks good, hanging right there at averages for this type of engine. Air and oil filtration look okay. No gas, moisture, or anti-freeze found in this sample. This is a very nice Kia engine at 10,242 miles."

I think the last part speaks for itself. I use Wal-mart brand dino. I performed the first change before 2000 miles. Our annual mileage is very low, so I'm using six month change intervals.

Reply to
Robert Henry

I've only had the oiled changed once, so I don't have any experience, but one poster here stated that he got a big improvement in his gas mileage with synthetic oil, though even more interestingly, he attritubed it the the engine having broken-in. If you search the newgroup on Google for "Kia Sedona oil", you'll probably be able to find the post.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
phinegan

Reply to
ronm

I use Castrol syntec, and I notice 3 things. (1) a smoother start. (2)The engine runs smoother and seemingly cooler. (3) 5 miles a tankfull improvement in gas mileage.

The gas mileage can also be manipulated by using Amoco Premium Gas. Amoco Premium adds 5 miles a gallon, or about 95 miles a tankful Miles per gallon. It makes the Amoco Premium the same effective price as regular.

If ou are unsure as to using synthetic, you can use Valvoline blended, or add one quart of syntec per 3 quarts oil.

Reply to
Fred Deaton

In addition to using synthetic, here's the perfect protection.

to protect your vehicle from the wear, friction, noise and costly engine problems. to make your engine oil cleaner. to reduce engine wear and friction. to extend your engine or transmission life. then, check it out.

Reply to
BE

Reply to
ronm

Ronm, Thanks for your opinion. but, Oil filter magnets are neither new nor snake oil stuff at all. It's getting popular. Many cars have a magnet inside of transmission oil pan. Differential gearbox has one also.

Try to use the oil filter magnet After thousands miles driving, cut open your oil filter, then you'll see what it has in it, for sure. Simply, It works.

Sean.

Reply to
BE

Reply to
ronm

Ronm,

If you go see the boxes of some performance oil filters in store you'll find that the filter will catch only bigger than 10 ~ 30 micron particles. Because, In order to filter out smaller than that size, oil filter have to restrict the oil flow to the critical engine parts and generate bigger engine failure.

Right after the oil change, your engine starts to make micro abrasive particles which your oil filter have to miss. and they are circulating through your engine parts with the speed of several gallons per minutes. until mileage reaches to 5000 miles for next oil change.

BE.

Reply to
BE

Reply to