synthetic oil

hey my 1990 9000 cd 2.0 turbo(104000 mil) is do for an oil change i think all its life its hade regular oil in it but this time i want to
put synthetic oil in it.is this going to cause any problems with a car thats had reg oil all its life? or will i just get all the good stuff of synthetic oil?
i here that mobil 1 synthetic is one of the best out there should i use this in my car?
my car is a 5spd and i also want to change the tranny oil to synthetic to but i got no dran plug?
By all means switch engine oil to synthetic and prolong the change interval to at least 10k miles. But on the transmission oil, stay with dino. SAAB specifically says not to use synthetic oil on manual transmissions until later model years. How late, I forgot. But my two '94's and '95 9k stll only use dino oil in the 5 speed transmission.
yaofeng wrote:

if i dont prolong the change interval will that hert it or would it make it better?
It will hurt your pocket book for one. Synthetic oil is three to four times as expensive as regular motor oil. I used to change oil every 5k miles using regular motor oil. Now I do 10k. You can just feel the difference in engine lubrication, especially in the dead of winter morning start-up.
People claim the detergent effect of syntheitcs make the engine more susceptible to leaks. I haven't seen it on mine.
On your 91 not having a transmission oil drain plug. I know some people tap a hole to make one.

Make darn sure you use good quality filters if you stretch the change interval out that far, I've always done 3K for dino oil or 5K for synthetic, past that it's getting pretty dirty looking. 4 quarts of synthetic is dirt cheap compared to the cost of a new turbo.

I'm running synthetic MTF (BG Synchroshift) in my 1992 c900. Works well for me, and is definitely an improvement over traditional oil in cold weather. You have to open the differential to drain the oil, at least in my car.
John
Prior to model year 94, there isn't even a drain or fill plug on the SAAB 9k 5 speed so changing the transmission fluid is impossible unless one taps a hole in the trans housing. On model year 94 and later, there are three plugs on the 5 spped, fill, level and drain. But SAAB did not recommend a synthetic transmission oil until much later, '97 I believe, And it says to not mix synthetic with regular. One is supposed to flush it with synthetic first if he is to change it out.
There has been documented cases where the owner put in synthetic transmission oil in early model year 9k 5 speed which resulted in the transmission breaking down.
yaofeng wrote:

There is a transmission oil fill plug in my 1993 9000 CSE. But whether there is a drain plug is an unsolved question. It's definitely pre 1994 since it has a B202 engine.

I had the old oil sucked out through the fill-hole. And correct, you'll have to flush the gearbox with 1 litre synth oil first.

I've been driving my '93 9000 CS 2,3 Turbo, 5-speed manual, for one year now (15.000 miles) with the Saab MTF0063 synthetic oil, and besides at better shifting, I haven't experienced any probs. I was recommended by a Saab tech (from the factory) to change to the synth, which I can only recommend.
Cheers!
es wrote:

I think mobil 1 is over the top and is only really needed for extreme (racing) driving conditions. I use Halford's fully synt 5W40 oil, they often have BOGOF offers near bank holidays to tempt DIY'ers into the shop.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:13:47 GMT, Johannes wrote:

My impression is that synthetic engine oil is a bit too slick for use in a manual transmission. That's why there are synthetic MTFs (Synchroshift, Redline, etc) available.
John
John B wrote:

My reply wasn't intended for the transmission oil.
rotten_NOSPAM snipped-for-privacy@ccil.org says...

It is the friction reducers that are the problem I believe. And yes, I used MTF rather than mineral engine oil in my 1984 C900.
You can tell if it is oil or MTF in your box. If you smell it, and it smells of rancid pickled onions, or cat piss, it is MTF.
--
Carl Robson
"Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf"

None the less - Saab is using Mobil 1 0W-40 as factory-fill on all new Saab's.
Cheers!
"Henrik B." wrote:

I thought they were using "Saab Genuine Oil", whatever that is.

Mobil1. ;o)
Saab - Fordi livet er for kort til biler med drlig sikkerhed!
"Henrik B." wrote:

Hmm. Saab oil comes in special blue cans marked 'Saab Oil'. According to Saab literature: "The only oil that has been tested and approved for use in your Saab engine".
johs@spam_revenge6402sizefitter.com says...

I'll let you into a clue. Blend Mobil one for Saab and stick it in a Saab bottle, it's Saab oil. When your lord and masters cut corners, stick Castrol Magnatec, or YoMamma smokey burn in the Same Saab oil bottle, it is Saab oil.
I did read on one of the OC magazine, that Saab through GM had done a deal with an oil company I had never heard of, to produce one oil for all Saabs, from the Turbo Diesels, to the LPT, to the HOT AERO models. And it had a longer life cycle. Now what was it about Saabs, Toyotas etc on Synthetic in the states, with longer service interval suffering from sludging.
--
Carl Robson
"Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf"
Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote:

You didn't think that I took Saab's oil blurb at face value, did you?

johs@spam_revenge6402sizefitter.com says...

Mobil 1 might be classified as synthetic, but it is garbage, compared to others.
It is based on cracked dino oil molecules, so they get to call it synthetic rather than mineral. Real synthetics such a Silkene and millers are listed as high ester, or triple ester and are totally man made, not produced by manipulating mineral oils. It is not too much for a Saab. I think that Saab Turbo oil is actually specially blended Mobil one, for Saab. Halfords full synth may actually be a better oil than Mobil one.