Intermittent Starting problem-99 Sportage

Lately we've been having an intermittent starting problem; sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it doesn't. It started a few days before Christmas 2004, and it doesn't seem to be related to being cold because it doesn't matter what temperature it is outside.

The most times it has happened has been after driving somewhere, stopping to go in, and afterwards not starting. The worst occurrance was New years Eve. My wife and I and her parents were driving from Virginia to Delaware. No problems starting that morning, but once we stopped at one place, and tried to start it, no go for 20 minutes. We had thought it was the battery, and cleaned the cables and posts several times, until it finally started up. We went to the next town where there was an Auto zone to check the battery (which requires the engine be shut off). Well guess what...this time for more than 40 minutes the engine wouldn't start. So we ended up calling for a rollback and going to a Kia dealer 30+ miles away, and after they got it off the rollback the Kia tech started it right up, and poured over it for more than an hour. They didn't have any idea what was going on. Nothing on the computer, battery/alternator/fuel pressure was fine. So we went ahead on our way and it didn't give us any problems getting home.

Last night it happened again when my wife went to go home from work. Fortunately after 3 or 4 tries it started.

It's a 1999 2wd sportage with approx 81,500 miles on it.

One thing we did see was the day before the trip when we were at Grease Monkey (place like a Jiffy Lube) and after oil change, transmission flush and fuel injector cleaning, the CHECK ENGINE light was lit (first time ever). On the computer it read Cylinder 2 and 4 misfire (could be spark plugs), but the guy erased the error to clear the light. Only thing else I've seen was System Voltage Unstable (at the AutoZone). But of coures this starting problem happened before we went to the Grease Monkey.

Reply to
David Meads

"One thing we did see was the day before the trip when we were at Grease Monkey (place like a Jiffy Lube) and after oil change, transmission flush and fuel injector cleaning, the CHECK ENGINE light was lit (first time ever). On the computer it read Cylinder 2 and 4 misfire (could be spark plugs)"

This is probably no cause for concern. The fuel injector flush probably caused the engine to richen up to the point that it failed to fire on several cylinders, and the computer detected it as a misfire condition and illuminated the light.

"Lately we've been having an intermittent starting problem; sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it doesn't. It started a few days before Christmas 2004, and it doesn't seem to be related to being cold because it doesn't matter what temperature it is outside."

Having read the rest of your message, I am going to assume that when the problem occurs you twist the key and the engine does not turn over. More information is needed to adequately troubleshoot this problem. You need to measure the voltage at the starter solenoid when the problem occurs.

If you do not have voltage at the solenoid with the car in park/clutch pedal in, key turned to START then the problem is probably NOT the starter. More than likely you have an issue with either a clutch pedal position switch, bad ignition switch, or a bad neutral position switch(auto transmission).

If you have 12 volts at the solenoid, and you do not hear a click when turning the ignition switch to start..bad starter solenoid. Replace the starter.

If you have 12 volts and you hear a click when you turn the key to start but nothing else happens, then you have a bad starter and/or excessive resistance in the wire leading to the starter solenoid. Temporarily jump the start terminal directly to the positive terminal of the battery. If the starter runs then it's possible you have excessive resistance in the lead going to the starter. I've seen this happen when the dealerships cut the main start lead to put in a bypass relay. This is so they can sell you that $500 "no-start alarm". If you tell them you dont want it, they typically put the wire back together with a crappy crimp connector. After a few years it corrodes internally, develops resistance..and you get the dreaded click/no-start. Fixing it requires the affected section of wire to be cut out and a splice SOLDERED in place to prevent future trouble.

If the starter doesn't run with a 12 volt bypass direct to the start terminal then I would replace the starter.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000

Actually some other information on that (some we just found out)...It turns over but it won't ignite, if you turn the key and let it turn over for several seconds at a time. If you do short bursts, after a couple times it starts.

Right now it's at the dealer in our area, and they said it was the fuel pump. We're waiting to hear from them that the part is here and ready to go in.

Reply to
David Meads

I have a 99 Sportage with the same problem. The car always starts fine in the morning ... But like you I also have problems with it not starting after I've been driving for a while. I would say about 1 in 5 times it wont start up right away. It normally takes about 6 turns of the key and a few minutes of swearing at it before it starts. I did take it to the dealer and they couldn't fine anything wrong with it. The computer read no faults and the couldn't repeat the problem. I think they gave me the popular response of the gas cap being loose. Anyway, I look forward to reading about how you fixed the problem. I've done some research and have come up with voltage problems at the started solenoid. Also, there's a position switch that tells the car when the clutch is pushed in (for manual) and when the transmission is in park (for auto) ... If this switch is going bad it wont allow the car to start - Hmmmm. Also, bad battery terminals (connections) a bad ignition switch or maybe the fuel pump. Anyway, I'll try a few things and keep posted

Reply to
larry502