Just bought an Optima

I bought a 2000 Hyundai Sonata in Apr 2000.

It proved to be the most trouble free and reliable car I ever owned. The only expense to me over the years were, tires, lubes, wipers, and antifreeze change.

The few other items needing attention were covered by the warranty. This included replacing the water pump. When the dealer did the water pump he replaced the timing belt as well. I paid for the belt.

I was planning on keeping the Sonata for at least one more year and then Came across a used 2008 KIA Optima in new-like condition for a price hard to turn down. So I bought it and the Sonata is gone.

I am happy with the Optima. A couple for minor complaints. The driver's seat is not as comfortable as the one in the Sonata. Like the Sonata the AM side of the radio performs poorly. The FM is good.

The Sonata was a V6 and the Optima a 4cyl. I find the 4cyl completely adequate for my driving and I expect to see the MPG to go up a bit.

The Optima, has keyless entry installed buit it did not come with a fob. I have inquired and it appears that even if I find the correct fob at a reasonable price I must still take it to the dealer to be programmed.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

_____________________________ JOE!

Our experiences are exactly similar! Is your '08 maroon?

Did you purchase it in Milford, CT?

The AM radio in mine has the same problem - but I also have what sounds like a "hair dryer" on low in the background on weaker AM stations. perhaps a "trap"

around the correct radio wires could cure our problem. ;) FMreception is mostly flawless and better than what I get with aportable or my home stereo. As for keyless, mine DID come with one fob and key. My wife, correctly, mind you, pointed out that used or not, you should get a duplicate fob & key incase of a lock out. When I pressed the dealer about this, they used the excuse that "we take back what our customers give us with a used car". does that mean if the driver's seat is missing I have to pay to have that installed to? ;)

Anywho I paid for the second key but they comped the FOB, all the whilst whining about the "cost of providing spare keys & fobs to customers". I guess that's what the cheap in KIA stands for!

As for the ride itself - no complaints, good steering feel, centered enough you don't need to make corrections all the time, good acceleration, handles bumps & potholes well, roomy back seat. Lots of good features for the money, minus ABS or ESC - remember, this is KIA, so cheap is the rule. However, the small points add up in this car: assist handles over all four doors, a small flip-down holder in the headliner for your driving glasses or garage remote, door pockets in all four doors as well as the front seat backs, and an aux. jack for the audio for anything from a mp3 player to a cassette-walkman.

Fit & finish is great - comparable to a last-generation Acura TL or Honda Accord. And I think the '08

favorable in the looks dept compared to the '09
(the nose borrowsheavily from the larger Saturns!). Good luck with yours and keep us all posted.

Reply to
ChrisCoaster