Kia Sportage Check Engine Light

It started about a month ago. I filled up with gas at Costco. I drove home and the car sat overnight. The next day, when I tried to cross the street, the car could barely move. And the check engine light went on. I assumed water in the gas. I treated it with water remover and after about 20 miles the light went away. The next fill up (I fill up when I'm 1/2 empty) I went back to Costco. No hesitation, but the Check Engine Light was on for about 50 miles. Next fill up was at Arco/BP. I put in Premium. No problem at all. Yesterday, I went back to the same Arco station for a fillup. This time, I put in the medium grade. After a few miles, I noticed that my idle rev was at 500. I drove it about 5 miles, and the Check Engine Light came on again. Now my idle rev was 1,000 and climbing by the time that I got home. This time, I had a code reader. I plugged it in and with the Check Engine Light burning brightly the reader showed no errors. I drove the car and it crawled through my intersection again. After about 100 feet, it perked up and I was able to drive it normally. I probably put 10 miles on it. I'm still ideling at 500 revs and my Check Engine Light is still on.

I'm getting paranoid. I can see one station giving me a problem but two? Could I have a sensor going? Ok, I won't buy cheap gas anymore, but I would really like to know what is going on.

Reply to
Scribner

The Rio will do a similar thing if the gas cap is loose or has a bad gasket.

Reply to
news.east.cox.net