low idle and stalling on 96 Sephia

Ive posted bout a 3 weeks ago on how to remove a blasted crankshaft pulley and then eventually found a way and finally changed out the water pump,re-installed the timing belt, and put the alternator back one....(all this because the tensioner mount for the alternator broke off the piece of water pump in which it was mounted too!!...Hence the whole swap out) Saved me like 350 bucks! However...........now that I got everything back together, put the battery back on, fill the radiator,put the belts on, etc.etc. .....the car starts but wont stay runing without me manually keeping my foot on the pedal. It runs normally now cept when I remove my foot...the rpm starts dropping and then it just stalls at like somewhere below 1k. I tried to keep it up and above 1k and slowly realease my foot from the pedal hoping it will idle on its own but once my foot leaves that pedal.....the rpm drops below 1k then it dies. Can someone here point me in the right direction?

E.T.

Reply to
E.T.

It sounds like you installed the timing belt incorrectly. Being even one tooth off will cause all sorts of problems.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000

Exactly, I had posted this thread in another newsgroup and the dude that replied was like,.... " check the timing, if its way off...then the belt was put on wrong." I merely skiped the timing part........ then took the valve cover off, the timing belt protection covers, and then removed the crankshaft pulley (now Its totally easy for me...since I got the hang of it) aligned the crankshaft with the mark on engine (assuming this means TDC on #1) and noticed that the right camshaft sprocket align mark....... was off by 3 teeth with the mark on engine. I definately put the thing on wrong. This time....I will double check the align marks! Thanks for the tip.

E.T.

Reply to
E.T.

Fortunately the pre-97 sephia's used a non-interference engine. It's actually a mazda miata engine when you get right down to the specifics of it. The head is a little different but that's about it.

One thing I would suggest is that in the future when you install a timing belt, set the tension per factory spec and then rotate the crank two revolutions and make sure all of the marks are still aligned. It's really easy to get off by a tooth and ruin your afternoon when it does not run right...

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000