low idle and stalling

Hello everyone, Ive posted bout a 3 weeks ago on how to remove a crankshaft pulley on my 96 Kia Sephia and then eventually found a way and finally changed out the water pump,re-installed the timing belt, and put the alternator back on....(all this because the tensioner mount for the alternator broke off the piece of water pump in which it was mounted too!!...Hence the whole swap out) Saved me like 350 bucks! However...........now that I got everything back together, put the battery back on, fill the radiator,put the belts on, etc.etc. .....the car starts but wont stay runing without me manually keeping my foot on the pedal. It runs normally now cept when I remove my foot...the rpm starts dropping and then it just stalls at like somewhere below 1k. I tried to keep it up and above 1k and slowly realease my foot from the pedal hoping it will idle on its own but once my foot leaves that pedal.....the rpm drops below 1k then it dies. Can someone here point me in the right direction?

E.T.

Reply to
E.T.

Try and check the engine timing if it is way off you did not aline the cam and crank correctly when you put the timing belt back on. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss

thanks dude, I took off the valve cover and timing belt protection cover and moved the lower crankshaft to align with the mark on engine (I assume this means TDC on piston #1) and noticed that the right overhead cam mark wasnt lined up with the mark on engine. It was off like 3 teeth. Now Im begining to see the importance of re-checking the align marks before proceeding to put everything back together.......thanks

E.T.

Reply to
E.T.

Don't forget you have 'two' different TDC's on the crank compared to the cam. One is the one you want, TDC on the compression stroke, the other one is TDC on the exhaust stroke.

You need to put your finger into #1 spark plug hole and then turn the crank to the mark. If you are on the correct TDC, you will feel the compression under your finger.

Mike

Mike Romain

Glad I could help. Stan

Reply to