oil pan plug

I have a Kia Rio 2002 and have put 60,000 Klms on it already. It's been hit in back and now I have a slightly off color rear bumper and a squeek I can't find. The only problem I have is that the oil pan threads for the oil plug are badly warn. The Canada Tire service center is trying to claim it because it has an aluminum oil pan.

I think it's because they keep overtoruque the plug. I'm in the middle. Canadian Tire claims, Here in Canada they don't use a torque wrench on oil pan plugs. That's it's normal industry standards to tighten them with a hand wrench. There must be a defect in the design of the pan. When he was a manager at a GM dealership, GM fixed fix them under warenty.(GM aluminum oil pans)

I think the GM dealer did fix them under warranty if the dealer striped them. I guess I just have to fix it and take them to court for the cost.

Reply to
tomahalk

That is a drag. I'm with you, I doubt it is defective (wouldn't that be apparent during the very first oil change?). Cheaper than replacing the entire pan, you may want to check out an oversized plug. I have seen two styles: Ones that are self tapping, which would be easy into the aluminum. Another is an oversized self-tapper with a smaller plug in the middle. You work the big one in, and remove the inner one when you need to drain the oil. Good luck!

Reply to
T. D.

"I think it's because they keep overtoruque the plug"

I KNOW You are right.

Reply to
Im Right