Optima ?

Hey guys I am considering an 03 Optima (US) and was just wondering if anybody on here had any warnings or praises about them. Thanks

-T

Reply to
Tidester

I think the only OPTIMA I would consider is the SE. Drove one in Los Angeles. They are overpriced new but a bargain used. My friend paid $11000 for a 2001 SE 2 weeks ago. Has all the bells and whistles and only 13k miles.

Reply to
Atlantic965

Have an 02. Absolutely love the car. One warranty trip for "check engine light" which was faulty fuel cap. Another for broken radiator hose clamp. Car now has 30,000 miles. Definitely would buy another.

Rich

Reply to
mookie89

I have an 2003 KIA Optima and I have 2200 miles on it. I have put in 12 full tanks of gas and I figure I'm getting about 12 to 15 miles to the gallon. I should be getting at the least 25 miles to the gallon. I have had it in 3 times for this and they can't find anything wrong. I will never buy a KIA again.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I also have a 2003 Optima Se with a six and I consistenly get 25 mpg.

You might want to try a different dealer.

Reply to
Kevin

Update: Driving home last night, the chrome trim around the rear drivers side window..... blew off.

I have a 2001 Optima SE, 38,000 miles, with a manual transmission and leather seats. The leather seats are nice. What is not nice are all the things I have replaced:

Fuel Sensor -filled the tank and it registered 3/4 on the gauge

Drivers side rear view mirror- it shook and made the image a total blur. Now the outside defroster on that mirror doesn't work, but no matter, I have to have it replaced again since the mirror is loose again, maybe then they will hook the defroster back up.

Front Drivers Window regulator, 2X. - The window comes loose in the frame, and affects the seal. The passenger side window is now doing the same thing.

Some engine sensor -made the check engine light come on (this was at less than 4000 miles).

Outside mirror control- Wouldn't move mirrors "up".

Clutch! Entire assembly. At 18k, it would get "stuck" in 4th gear, or if you started it in gear it would creep forward even though clutch was fully to the floor. Yikes.

Floor mat hooks: Useless, replaced twice.

Also, every time I take it in for service (I should get a bumper sticker that says "my other car is a loaner"), I have reported the strange grinding between the gears. 6 previous cars I have owned (Honda's and one Saab) never had this, yet it's supposedly normal with a Kia (i.e. "no problem found").

I will not buy another KIA.

Reply to
T.D.

I have a 2002 Optima SE-V6 with just over 20k on it. Purchased new and only one warranty issue with was taken care of at the dealer. No problems worth mentioning. Love the car and would purchase one again if something happened to this one...

Reply to
The Bulldog

"Tidester" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I bought a demo off the show room floor, I have just put 1000 miles on it, only problem I had was during the Chicago winter, the rear view mirror popped off. Took it back to the dealer, and it was replaced. So far, this is a great car with no other problems.

Reply to
Eksak

Have an 02 Optima with 40K on it now. Bought it new. Have had four problems, all under warranty:

  1. Check engine light came on. Defective Fuel cap.
  2. L/F power window regular had to be replaced.
  3. Defective radiator hose clamp.
  4. L/R power window regular had to be replaced.

Because of where I was when it happened, I've been to three different Kia dealerships in two states. Excellent SAME DAY service. Would definitely buy another one.

Rich

Reply to
mookie89

I have a 01 Optima with 67k on it. '03 is a reworked model so my stuff may not be applicable but....

Under warranty: I have had all window regulators replaced, drivers side twice. New clutch at 17k new fuel tank sensor at 22k new highpressure power steering line at 61k outside driverside rearview mirror twice.(1 vibrated / 2 would not defrost)

In all cases, problems were diagnosed and parts were ordered so everything was a two trip deal.

With the exception of the power steering line, I haven't had any trouble in the past year.

The only thing I have had to pay for was replacing the ignition wires at about 41k. That ran me about 30 bucks for some ngk's.

Two years ago, I would've advised RUN, DON'T WALK. Lately it seems all the kinks have been worked out and I would say it's a great deal for the money

Reply to
Thom Davis

Seems to be a real issue with window regulators, eh? When I enquired at the dealer with the latest window issue, the service rep responded "We see a few come through here." After reading your list, guess I'll get ready for the other two to go! Still love the car, though.

Rich

Reply to
mookie89
2001 SE. Yes one window regulator. $25 at KIA if you want to do it yourself. Also, new window tracks at 25K miles. Windows wouldn't close all the way. That took care of the problem. ALSO: 1)Turbo Speed Sensor - Trans would kick down into 3rd and wouldnt shift into 3rd. $262 installed. This is a big ripoff but what can you do. Part alone is $100 and can be done relatively easily. 2) Wires, plugs and fuel filter @ 92K miles. This is normal maintaenance stuff but the car just started missing one day. The plenum must be removed in order to replace plugs & wires. This is a one day job. Do it youself, it will save you 200-$300 3) One light on stereo went dead. 4) Battery dead @ 42 months 5) Tires are great. 93000 miles and still going 6) Check trans fluid at 40000 miles as it will be black. Easy drain and change. Do it at two consecutive enginge oil changes to make sure its completely drained from the torque converter. 7) fuel gage read low last winter. Can back to life in summer. Leave it alone. Sounds hard to change. 8) Brakes went 72K before replacing pads. Could not get rotors off 9) Flapping noise 50% of time when passanger window or sun roof is down. Can't find cause. Usually when cold. 10) Chrome trim came loose over drivers rear ealy on. Replaced by dealer.

Even with all this stuff. I like the car. With 93K miles, the car still drives solid as new. The one big problem, the turbo speed sensor is something I haven't heard too many or no posts on. Perhaps just a freak thing. Be aware though.

I still need to change the timing belt. Looks pretty complicated but I will probably take it on. You can buy a belt on e-bay for $42. Dealer would charge $500 minimum. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reply to
termin8or

don't do it buy a hundia instead

Reply to
mikelv247

I had to change a Solenoid. Sucked paying about the same you did but I was still in "don't work on this car" mode. That's over.

What were the symptoms? Just today I start the car and its dogging out pretty bad. Car vibrates when giving it gas, almost stalls while in D at a stop. Haven't changed wires, plugs yet and its at 71K.

Mine (2001 SE) reads lower than actual as well.

Reply to
Chunk Morris- Martial Arts SPe

That's most definately timing and/or MAF realted. The stalling is likely the EGR/recovery system as well(they tend to die pretty quickly after one goes. If one is bad, the computers can compensate pretty well, but if both die, the car is nearly undriveable.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Well, it wound up being just the plugs and wires. I don't know what the deal with Kia or whoever put the last plugs in but the gaps were considerably out of spec. This may explain why it drives better than before. Right now at 73K it runs great.

Reply to
Frosty Goodness