power drain

I have a Sportage and when it's switched off for several hours, the battery is being 'drained' of power. (battery is new & alternator is charging). I've checked that nothing is left switched on, but it still happens. I now have to keep disconnecting the battery when ever park up !! Any ideas ?

Reply to
halifaxsteve

You are going to have to check for the source of the parasitic drain. With the motor off, open up the fuse panel and remove each fuse one at a time and place the leads from a voltmeter into the socket. Set it to read low amps. If it's passing electricity between the terminals of the socket then that circuit is the source of your drain. Bear in mind, however, that some circuits do draw from the battery even when the vehicle is tuerned off to retain memory in the ECM, radio, clock, etc. so check the circuits that power the electronics last.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan. Did a check and found a relay which seemed to 'always' energised. Even though i changed positions it was still the same. will get new one tomorrow, and hopefully, problem solved. !!!! Thanks again

Reply to
halifaxsteve

the fuel pump relay was a 'double throw' type and when in 'neutral mode' somehow had a feed to somewhere ?!?!. I've 'snipped' off the 'other' (87a) contact, knowing that when energized it works, and now waiting till morning to try and see if we have power. Maybe someone put in the wrong relay ?

Reply to
halifaxsteve

Good chance it's the wrong relay, but also that whatever is sending the signal for the relay to energze the circuit is on the fritz. If the fuel pump relay is getting it's signal from the ignition switch then that's where I'd look next - bad switch or shorted wire could keep the FP relay energized even if the switch was in the "off" position and the key removed. Try jiggling the ignition switch yet to see if it cuts off the signal to the relay?

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan