Question of Kia Sportage (I think it's a '99)

Vehicle is 'owned' by my DIL's uncle has ~ 60K and the manual transmission has a bad bearing. Seems to me it should be covered under Kia's 100K transmission warranty.

I'm not privy to all the details but the uncle's credit union reportedly said they 'gave up the warranty' so the transmission is not covered.

With the limited input I have (car is out of state) can anyone offer some input of what the real story might be on this? It was purchase new as a wedding gift but titled in the uncle's name. The reasons are complicated but since he's paying the note and the insurance does not seem to be a problem for the DIL.

To my thinking the credit union cannot give up a warranty and as such the transmission should still be covered.

TIA

Reply to
Not Me

Warranty claims are handled by the KIA dealer, and KIA Inc., (and possibly by some other company if an "extended warranty" was purchased).

The credit union should have nothing to do with the repair of the car, or the validity of any warranty.

If the "bearing" in question is the "clutch release" or "throw out" bearing, then that would be considered a maintenence item and is only covered by a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty (I think... it may be shorter... read the warranty booklet that came with the car).

Good luck with it.

Reply to
schucha

Thanks for the response. I'm walking carefully as there are family politics involved but did what to get as straight an answer as I could. Your response is what I expected.

I know it is not the clutch or clutch baring as both were replaced within the past six months. I suspected a bad bearing elsewhere in the xmission but again I'm just the dumb old FIL (with 40 years aircraft maintenance experience but what do I know )

Last the KIA transmission factory warranty is 100K are there any surprises/limits I should know about regardless?

Seems like a nice car were it not for the family politics likely would be a great car for a young family.

| Warranty claims are handled by the KIA dealer, and KIA Inc., (and | possibly by some other company if an "extended warranty" was | purchased). | | The credit union should have nothing to do with the repair of the car, | or the validity of any warranty. | | If the "bearing" in question is the "clutch release" or "throw out" | bearing, then that would be considered a maintenence item and is only | covered by a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty (I think... it may be | shorter... read the warranty booklet that came with the car). | | Good luck with it.

Reply to
Not Me

My 97 Sportage had a 5yr/60K warranty when new, but my 01 Rio has the

10yr/100k...

KIA went to a 10yr/100K powertrain warranty (for the original owner only, otherwise it is only 5yr/60K) when the company was acquired by Hyundai, but I am unsure of the dates involved.

A quick phone call to the service department of your local KIA dealership, or possibly a visit to

would be your best course to have your questions answered.

Good luck with it!

Reply to
schucha

I would put the question to KIA ronm