Toyota Corolla - Downlink cable question

Heya everyone,

I've been noticing some major delays/slippage when my 2001 Corolla CE (Auto) shifts from first to second. My oil-change shop thought maybe it was the ECU that needed reprogramming so I took it to the Toyota dealership. They diagnosed it as being the downlink cable that is "seizing" and they apparently adjusted it. It does in fact seem to work better than before but they are saying I need to replace the cable and they will take my transmission pan off and have a look to make sure there is no other damage. Now for my question to you experts ...

Is this downlink cable an "internal transmission component"? I have the ECP warranty still on the car and it lists that all internal transmission components are covered but Toyota says that it isn't covered. They already tried this once earlier this year with a door lock issue and thanks to someone on this group, they ended up covering it after some arguing. I just want to make sure that I'm not getting bent over a table again and that this in fact should be a non-warranty replacement part. Any input is greatly appreciated seeing as how I don't know anything about the tranny of this car and I certainly do not trust Toyota to tell me the truth!

Thanks!

Reply to
griffin

I think you are referring to the transmission throttle cable, sometimes called a "downshift" cable. The cable works on the same principle as the brake or shifter cable on a bicycle, where a metal cable moves inside a plastic sleeve. The throttle cable connects the throttle to the transmission valve body, inside of the transmission pan. The cable is not usually considered an "internal" transmission component, although it is connected to an internal component.

I am not familiar with the "ECP" warranty but it sound like an aftermarket service contract, and if it is, aftermarket service contracts are notorious for being so full of loopholes that they cover very few failures. If you have a Toyota Extra Care service contract, then there is a better chance of having the cable covered.

Reply to
Ray O