Re: Info please...

I own a 2003 Kia Rio... I have had it for 10 months now.. I have almost 24k miles on it. It has been a very good and reliable car. The only problem I had was when I first got it, the check engine light was on, it was a short in the wire harness that caused something, can't remember the name for it, to go bad that caused the trans to stay in the Overdrive gear and would not shift, regardless of what you did. Other then that one problem, it's been a good little car. Get about 31mpg doing mixed driving. For the price, I would say it's worth it. Any other questions let me know.

Rob snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

My daughter is car shopping and has narrowed her search down to include a > Kia Rio 2003. > Would anyone care to tell me the good or bad points about being a Kia owner? > > Thanks, > > -- > The BIG DOG > ,-._,-. > \/)"(\/ > (_o_) and, > > GOD BLESS AMERICA! > >
Reply to
Sijuki

I also own a 2003 Rio with 14k kms on it. It's been good basic transportation and gets pretty good gas milage. I commute almost 200 kms round trip to work every day, and it suits that purpose well. The only complaint I have is the same as every other Kia ever made.... the check engine light. This car is less than 4 months old and the check engine light has been on no less than 6 times. (all of them in the last 5 weeks... since the first oil change... hmmmmm) It'll stay on for a day or 2, then go off and won't reappear for 3 or

4 days. I guess you get what you pay for!

Rick

"Sijuki" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com:

..... snipped .....

Reply to
ZAP

Have you ever checked to see what the code is that's causing the check engine light to come on? Might be something simple.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Pitz

Bill Pitz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Bill...

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to take it into the nearest dealership (50kms away) twice a week to get it checked. The first time it happened, I took it in and the service manager explained it something like this... "sometimes the fuel tank will get air in it which the computer interprets as a problem with the emission control. The computer rechecks things every 6 key starts or so and, if the problem is gone, so is the light, so if it goes off again, don't worry about it if everything seems to be running ok." Well... 6 key starts is 2 or 3 days! I wonder if my warranty will still be valid if the engine blows up while I'm waiting to see if the light is going to go off in a day or

  1. It's due for it's next scheduled service soon, so he and I will be "discussing" the problem.

Rick

Reply to
ZAP

Bill, are making sure you "click" the gas cap around at least 3 times after you put gas in the car? I got a check-engine light the very first time my wife filled-up our Sedona, and no, she didn't read the little warning on the gas cap, and yes, the check-engine light was the result.

YMMV!

Dan

Reply to
phinegan

Dan, believe it or not, yes I tried that. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when or where the light will appear. The tank can be full or almost empty. Hot day or cool. It can come on in the morning and go off when I start it up in the afternoon. Although I'm sure this light does serve some legitimate purpose, other than ensuring a steady stream of work for the service department, THIS IS A BRAND NEW CAR! I shouldn't be seeing warning lights OF ANY KIND!

Rick

Reply to
ZAP