Re: Kia Sedona Gas Mileage

About 19 mpg all around with fairly equal mix of city and highway. >

> I've read several reviews on this van and they seem to be mostly favorable, > except for the mileage rating of 15/20, due, they say, to the curb weight of > 4,800 lbs. > > What are you Sedona owners getting for gas mileage in the real world? > > Thanks!

I'm getting around 18 with my commute of 6 miles city and 16 miles parkway driving. AVG speed 70 75 MPH.

I did get around 19.5 mpg on the same commute with my 1996 Dodge Caravan SE with the 3.0L Mitsubishi engine in it. I decided to go with the SEDONA after my second transmission failed on my caravan at

85,000 miles. Also Dodge's refusal to fix a dangerous clockspring defect, It took them six years to determine the part was defective and then they would only replace the part if you had under 70K miles or something.

Th SEDONA really sucks gas when you are doing city driving. I've gotten as low as 14Mpg with straight city driving and some traffic.

Its a trade off with the mileage, I would rather have a 5 star crash rating than

1.5 miles more per gallon. As for reliability, I'll have to wait and see, but considering the reliability records I've had with my past Dodge cars, I'm willing to take a chance with KIA.

Past Dodge cars:

Dodge Spirit 94 4 cyl:

  1. Bad transmission at 70,000 miles.
  2. Engine Died at 91,000 miles. (Oil was changed every 3k).

Dodge Caravan 92 3.0l:

  1. Bad transmission at 90K
  2. Burning oil at idle at 80k (Mitsubishi Valve stem seal problem). AIS motor problem causes stalling on the highway.
  3. Bad transmission at 110k.
  4. Oil burning is so bad at idle that people roll up their windows and yell at me when they are stoped at a light next to me.
  5. Car was stolen from the transmission repair shop. Found by police two weeks later with no wheels, no glass, and no airbags.

Dodge Caravan 96 3.0 L:

  1. AIS motor carbon buildup causes stalling on the highway.
  2. 71k Clockspring problem. No airbag, no horn, no cruise control(Chrysler won't fix it for free because they haven't determined it to be defective yet).
  3. 76k Bad transmission.
  4. 90k Bad transmission.
  5. Traded the car in for 00 and bought a 2003SEDONA LX package with roof rack and ABS for ,650 - 00 for the trade = ,250.

So far I am very happy with the Sedona. I haven't had any problems with it so far. The 3.5 engine and 5 speed transmission are a perfect match for the Sedona. From what I have read on the internet, the powertrain is very simular to the 3.5L Mitsubishi Montero which also has a 3.5L 24V and 5 Speed Automatic. The fuel Economy on the Montero is equal to the SEDONA. Build quality and suspension seem to be much better in the Sedona compared to my

1996 Caravan.
Reply to
Ray

Wouldn't that be nice! :)

Of course, my father in law has a 350 in his '86 Chevy van 20. I think he gets around 12 -15.

Kai Ponte

Your father in law is getting better mileage than I do with my new 2003 Optima with the 4 cyl. I get about 12 to 15 miles to the gallon.

Jack

Reply to
Jack