Snapped Timing Belt! 2002 Kia Rio (sob)

Well, I have only myself to blame, apparently, the timing belt let go (factory belt) on my 2002 Kia Rio 4 door 1.5 liter engine. In retrospect I
could hear the ping/ting of valves before the engine stalled. Clicked the engine with the starter and the engine turns like it's seized.
Should I just replace the head or could the valves cracked the piston crowns? I think this is an interference engine. I had a 1988 Mitsubishi Mirage where I replaced it's factory timing belt around 150k and the belt was in pretty good shape, no weathering, cracks, etc. This baby has 93,000 miles. The dealer did warn me when I got some warranty work done on the rear wheel bearings. two months ago.Looking at my service history in the computer, he said, Ron, if you don't do anything else aside from changing your oil, make sure you change out your timing belt. The wife was adamant against spending the Cash. (tsk tsk)...
So what are you war stories on timing belts and what you did to get going again???? (and $ paid)
Ron in FL.

retrospect I

the
Normally you should change the timing belt at 60,000 mile intervals.
Having said that, the 1.5l engine is an interference engine and thus you have likely destroyed one or more valves. You could try lining everything up and just putting a belt on it, but if you actually HEARD the valves hitting the piston as the belt jumped teeth and subsequently broke, there is a good chance you destroyed the engine overall. At the very least I would have shut down as soon as I got the 'expensive sounding noises' from the engine bay.
If it was my car I would say step one is to remove the cylinder head and see where it stands from there.
Good luck with it.
Chris
if you need the belt, contact this guy--http://stores.ebay.com/PartsDinosaur_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm . he sells the belt, the roller bearings and tensioner, gaskets and a water pump for under $100. When you have it open, change the water pump too. no sense putting stress on the old pump shaft, only to have the pump bearings go six months later. the labor is the same.
I would open the timing cover. rotate the gears end. you might have lucked out, but I doubt it. the pistons are right up almost against the intake valves. The pistons probabily survived, worst case, you might have to replace a valve guide or two. With that much milage, you may as well do a valve job anyway. Then you will have the head off, and can see where you are. you have to change the belt anyway when you do a valve job. I just had it done on my daughters 2000 Sportage at 60k, cost $750 with me providing the belt kit. Plus we changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires and some hoses, while it was apart. that's not really a big sum over the scheme of things, spread over 5 years of use. $150 a year for maintenance.
"hager15" wrote: > if you need the belt, contact this > guy--http://stores.ebay.com/PartsDinosaur_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amewaQ3amesstQQtZkm . > he sells the belt, the roller bearings and tensioner, gaskets > and a water > pump for under $100. When you have it open, change the water > pump too. no > sense putting stress on the old pump shaft, only to have the > pump bearings > go six months later. the labor is the same. > > I would open the timing cover. rotate the gears end. you might > have lucked > out, but I doubt it. the pistons are right up almost against > the intake > valves. The pistons probabily survived, worst case, you might > have to > replace a valve guide or two. > With that much milage, you may as well do a valve job anyway. > Then you > will have the head off, and can see where you are. you have to > change the > belt anyway when you do a valve job. I just had it done on my > daughters > 2000 Sportage at 60k, cost $750 with me providing the belt > kit. Plus we > changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires and some > hoses, while it > was apart. that's not really a big sum over the scheme of > things, spread > over 5 years of use. $150 a year for maintenance.
I had a 2001 Rio that snaped a timing belt. It had 87,000 miles on it. I was the first owner so Kia replaced the engine for me under warranty. No complaints or anything. They just told me that I should have replaced it at 75,000 miles just as a precaution.
They took about 2 weeks to replace it and It worked good as new. I sold it with 97,000 miles on it.
"zwolfe12" wrote: > I had a 2001 Rio that snaped a timing belt. It had 87,000 > miles on it. I was the first owner so Kia replaced the engine > for me under warranty. No complaints or anything. They just > told me that I should have replaced it at 75,000 miles just as > a precaution. > > They took about 2 weeks to replace it and It worked good as > new. I sold it with 97,000 miles on it.
I am going through the same thing with my 01 Kia Rio. My timing belt snapped at 75,000 miles. I had taken the car in for its 60,000 mile service and instructed the delaer to do whatever necessary to keep the warranty current. Kia Motors America is claiming that it was my responsibility to instruct them directly to replace the timing belt, and that since I didnt, they will not cover the engine. Would you mind telling me how you got Kia to cover the engine? They are refusing to do so for me.At this point (3 weeks without a car) I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Site Timeline