100 2.5 TD oil leak

Well, theres a couple, a very odd one from around the radiator, it's pissing out (well, dripping) all along the front of the bottom of the rad? Is there an oil cooler? I'm doing 14 hour days at the moment do don't have time to get under it.

The rad looks new so maybe if it has an oil cooler they didn't tighten it up etc? The reason I ask is I cant open the bonnet as the cable snapped due to my heavy right arm!!!!

Richard!!! I need a new bonnet release cable & pull matey!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

out (well, dripping) all

hour days at the moment do

etc? The reason I ask is I

Hi Nige,

Yes there is an oil cooler on the drivers side of the rad. There's one union at the top of the rad and threre's another at the bottom which i guess is probably the one that it leaking. It's part of the rad though so you might need to investigate further. It's really easy to crossthread the union that enters the radiator when fitting it, i had to be very careful when retrofitting a tdi into my old 90 TD. The bottom union is just above the top of the steering box so you may be able to peer / feel underneath. Fingers crossed it's just loose eh?

Mind you, these engines had a hell of a reputation for pressurising the crankcase, it was unknown for the TD to shoot the dipstick out unnder acceleration

All the best,

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

It's deffo coming from the front of the rad, gonna get the bonnet open tomorrow at some point!!!

Reply to
Nige

tomorrow at some point!!!

Might be a new radiator job then, let us know what you find!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Odd, the rad looked brand new as i have actually had the bonnet open for a few minutes as the fan belt snapped on the way home, easy fix, but my head went & i yanked the bonnet release so hard it snapped the cable & also yanked the bracket off the car!!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

out (well, dripping) all

hour days at the moment do

etc? The reason I ask is I

On it's way! You can open the bonnet by reaching in with your fingers to the left (looking at the front of the motor) of the latch and pulling the cable inner between the end of the outer and latch. You don't even have to take the grille off!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

tomorrow at some point!!!

or missing/damaged O rings.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The metal part of the oil cooler pipe at the rad end cracked on my td resulting in a big oil leak !

Icky

Reply to
icky