Where's the STINKIN oil filter on a '93 Camry 4C?

I feel stupid, and perhaps I'll feel worse when I get the answer. Where's the oil filter located on the '93 Camry 4C?

Reply to
hambaxter

The 93 should be the same as the 94. It is almost underneath the heat shield. Standing in front of the car look straight down towards the engine and it will be right above the front motor mount. The best type of wrench to use is the cap wrench.

Reply to
badgolferman

Badgolferman - thanks...I thought I was going crazy when I thought I'd located it on top instead of underside. To confirm...the filter is mounted on top of and in front of engine - access under hood. That's why I guess everyones complaining about oil draining over the engine when you change filter.

One more quest (and thanks so much for your time), the filter on there appears to have a silver/alum ring around it near mount; filter is white and longer than the Fram replacement filter I bought. Is there any trick to getting this off / does it need to be re-used, etc. Any problem using the Fram (I know there's debate over that issue as well).

Thanks again!

Reply to
hambaxter

Your choice to use Fram, but they have often been cited as a very low quality oil fitler. Toyota brand would be good. The "silver/alum ring around it near mount" is the oil cooler. If you look more closely, you will see water lines from the water bypass pipe running to it. Haynes repair and maintenance manual is inexpensive and will show you photographs for maintenance procedures as well as other repairs. To avoid dripping any oil from the old filter, just open the drain plug first, and let it drain longer. After an hour or so, you can remove the filter easily and cleanly. If you can let it drain over night, even more old, dirty oil will be removed and you will notice the new oil staying cleaner longer.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks Daniel!!! I really appreciate it...Makes sense now

Reply to
hambaxter