100w bulbs

If I fit 100w Headlamp bulbs to my Discovery 2 will I have to beef up the wiring.

E.G. thicker wire & a 30A relay

P.S. I know they are illegal for road use

Reply to

100w on main beams should be fine on existing wiring. It already has relays in the circuit anyway. Check the fuse rating for the headlamps. A 100w main will take 8.5A per bulb.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:03:07 +0100, enlightened us thusly:

better off with a set of spotlamps, if you want more light. and relays, of course :-)

but the existing wiring ought to cope. You might find that it doesn't quite get full power, depending on the wire used - older vehicles had sod-off fat wires to the headlamps which would take oodlesº of amps, modern ones seem increasingly thin, and probably less able to take uprated bulbs.

º like about 20.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Far better to fit decent bulbs - try Phillips Vision Plus.

I have had 100's in a 110 - the switch was fine - pity the multiplug on the bulb melted - - - - -

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

On or around Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:53:19 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Buckley" enlightened us thusly:

switch melted in mine, as a result of being a) old and b) required to run a pair of 55W spots as well.

replacement switch was OK though.

disco has been wired up with relays all over the place. dunno what half of them do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They allow you to use a low current switch to control a high current load.

The other half do the same thing.

HTH

David ;-)

Reply to
rads

On or around Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:49:53 +0100, rads enlightened us thusly:

ho ho.

actually, what I were thinking is it *looks* (not fully traced) like whoever wired it for spots and fogs (latter not fitted ATM) has used 2 relays for each circuit - one under the dash and one in the underbonnet space. Brace of fused relays under the bonnet, one operates both spots and the other both fogs (I assume). 2 switches, one for each kind of lights, on the fuse cover panel, so you can optionally not have either set of additional lights on, which makes sense, and a pair of relays inside said panel as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What are you doing driving my Disco Austin?

That's more or less the way I have it wired at the moment, more due to changing the lighting rig and not bothering to re-run all the wires than anything else.

I did discover that the QT lamp pod puts out a lot more light when wired with 8AWG cable through a relay and breaker directly back to the battery than it does when wired with 32AWG back to a 20A fuse in the fusetray.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Didn't have flashing headlights fitted at one time did it? :-)

Reply to
Graham Jones

On or around Sat, 17 Jul 2004 07:27:47 GMT, Graham Jones enlightened us thusly:

doubt it. yer never know. ICBA (and I'm too tight) to apply to DVLA for a list of previous keepers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What's a keeper history cost in the UK? Just got one for my Series IIa here in NZ (cost NZ$12 = GBP4). 18 owners starting with the government Lands & Survey Department which probably explains why it appears to be partially military spec.

Reply to
EMB