100w bulb ?

Hi

Does anyone know if there would be any problems fitting two H7 100w halogen bulbs to my E class 320, are there any drawbacks or any disrecomendations. I know of the benifits, brighter, clearer lights.

TIA

Si

Reply to
Pieman

Halogen (quartz iodide) have been around for years. The first I knew of them was on my 1958 TR-3's driving lites by Lucas. When "normal" bulbs get hot they deposite small amounts of the filament on the inside of the bulb. This deposit thickens over time causing the bulb to dim or the filament to break as it gets thinner.

With Halogen bulbs the quartz bulb stays hotter after the bulb is turn off so the thin deposit is replated on the filament. Thus, longer life and generally speaking, brighter light. They generally draw more current but this shouldn't be a problem. I installed them on my 1968 912 (bulbs were illegal in California in those years) and they lasted for many years.

I've not put them on my E320 simply because I haven't checked out how hard it is to replace the factory bulbs. Can you help me with that?

HTH

Don

Reply to
Don.

Hi Don

It is relatively easy to change the factory fitted bulbs if you have small hands! Getting at the bulbs is quite hard. The drivers side (assuming you are right hand drive, like here in the UK) is difficult to get to but the other side is easier by pulling out the water bottle that cleans your lights. I have fitted two 100w blue white bulbs, I can notice a much whiter light and it is not dazzling the other drivers. One thing I have noticed is the amount of heat coming out through the plastic lens. I hope the bulbs will not melt the plastic.

Reply to
Pieman

Thanks for taking the hint and letting me know the "how to." :-) I see 40 years has dulled my memory somewhat, I forgot about the heat they put out. Those Lucas "Flame Throwers" on my TR-3 were aptly named, you couldn't hold your hand on the *glass* lenses after using them for a while.

I guess I didn't know they headlights were had plastic lenses, I guess that would keep them from getting cracked from stones. After hearing that I'm afraid you're on your own. ;-)

Don

Reply to
Don.

Si

I've been using 100/90w halogens for years in my (Euro-style) W123 headlights. Now I'm using 100/90w xenon bulbs. These headlights have huge volume and acres of headlight glass through which to disperse the heat. Not sure what the reflectors are made of but they don't feel like plastic.

I'd be very wary of using 100w halogens or xenons in a plastic set-up.

You should DEFINITELY ask an auto electrician whether you need relay switches to route the higher current away from your precious factory switches. I didn't take the risk and have always fitted relay kits to vehicles whose lights I've upgraded to 100w filaments. The relay kits are cheap enough - your factory-fitted gear is not.

Good luck

Euan

1985 300TD 5-spd manual

Christchurch, NZ

Reply to
Euan

FWIW...Be careful about the heat generated. My 95 S420 had 100 watt bulbs in when I bought it used. When one burned out, I went to replace them and found that the harness connectors were fried to a crisp...brown and brittle. They came apart in my hands.

Reply to
John Martuch