110 V8 cam replacement needed and if so, where?

My 1984 110 V8 is starying to get a bit noisier on top. Actually quite a bit noisier :)

It's always had a slight tappet noise, but it seems now that more tappets are coming out in sympathy. Given it's done 105k miles and the fuel consumption is spiralling downwards (although it still pulls fine) is a new camshaft and tappets on my horizon? Noise is definitely from the top of the engine.

It has regular oil changes, oil pressure seems good (by my test of seeing whether the pressure light comes on whilst trying to stall it).

I see that a camshaft kit seems to be around the £100 mark. Would I need anything else?

I would also like to find someone reliable in the Portsmouth/hants area to do the job - any recommendations?

Thanks.

Reply to
danny

On or around Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:03:22 +0100, danny enlightened us thusly:

camshaft, followers, pushrods, rocker shafts and at least some rockers, camchain and sprockets, front cover gasket, front cover seal. That about covers it.

if the cam's bad, then the other stuff will almost certainly need doing too. There's a school of thought that you shouldn't put old rockers on new shafts, but then again, for the most part, it's the shafts that wear. If money's not too tight, then worth replacing the rocker set as well, but there are 16 of them and a full set is about 64 quid.

Real Steel do some nice heavy duty tubular pushrods, which look the bees knees. I've a set here, together with a barely-used 3.9 cam and set of followers, as spares potentially.

depending on which cam yours has to start with, it might be worth putting the 3.9 one in instead on replacement - worthwhile upgrade for some engine builds. No doubt Badger will be along sometime to tell us if yours is one such.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

all youll need is a gasket set , new cam and lifters and maybe a timing chain kit if you want to change it .

i put rover SD1 cams in those engines and they run a treat in landrover low compression engines or high comp .

theyll pull from very low revs and have plenty of low down torque .

try REAL STEEL for an SD1 cam kit and or additionally a timing chain kit and gasket set .

you may also try adding an oil pump booster plate kit and high pressure relief spring , easy to fit .

if you have a combined vacuum retard and advance distributor the ignition timing will be as per haines manual > 1985 range rover , ie checked with both hoses on the distributor and idle revs set according to book .

you wont need new rockers or valve springs if you dont want to fit them and the cam will fit the engine without any mods reqd . . there is only one problem you may encounter and thats the thread of the bolt hole in the front of the camshaft , there were 2 different threads used on rover v-8 cams , it may be advisable to buy a new camshaft bolt to fit the actual cam you buy , just in case .

i tapped mine out but you might not have the eqpt to do so , so better safe than stuck .

.
Reply to
M0bcg