2.6l 6cyl water pump

I'm trying to source a replacement detox (thermostatic fan type) water pump or overhaul kit for a series III 2.6l 6 cylinder. They are quite rare in Australia. What's the situation like in the UK?

Does anyone know of sources for these bits?

Reply to
Paul Saccani

No. But if you can't get the right bits try looking for places that recon them or try looking at other water pumps with a view to pressing it apart and replacing the parts with parts from another pump. While there are stacks of different water pump bearings[thats what they are called] I invariably found the ones I wanted to replace were all the same.

Reply to
integerspin

Thanks. The seal is the hard part to get - the bearing is straight forward. I'm contemplating fabricating a new adapter plate to use a readily available water pump instead.

I've already gone down the route of pressing other pumps apart to try and get a seal that can be used to overhaul the 2.6l pump. I imagine the odds are much better of that succeeding in the UK, given that it's likely that similar components would have been used in the design of many vehicles there.

Reply to
Paul Saccani

There's a couple of places here in NZ that will almost certainly have a seal to suit. Neither appear to have websites so you'll have to try phoning them. From prior experience I can vouch for the workmanship and ability of both of them, and Muzza's is about 5 minutes drive from me if you need something collected and posted.

Muzza's Automotive Water Pumps,

153, Neilson St, Onehunga Ph +64 9 6364600

Giant Auto Products

42 Mahana Rd, Hamilton Ph +64 7 8496700
Reply to
EMB

I'm sending you a collection of parts book pages which may be useful. Less useful than it might be as kits of parts feature too prominently at the expense of individual component part numbers.

I think that you are right about trying the UK to source this seal.

Try looking here:

particularly 568301 Seal (superseding 244207 and 557626).I don't know anything about these people but suspect that a straight question to them about what they have have available for your pump may yield positive results.

Reply to
Dougal

Many thanks for the contacts and your kind offer - I'll give them a call.

Reply to
Paul Saccani

Many thanks for that splendid effort. I've got the 1988 parts manual. ;)

Yeah, I've tried The Landrover Orphanage. 568301 is the seal that I want. Unfortunately, their online system won't accept an Australian address and their email address bounces. I confess to not having figured out how to call them from Australia - I must be doing something wrong, I keep getting "the number you have dialled is invalid".

There are a few places that list the overhaul kit 605716, typically for around 44 UK pounds, but turn out not have it.

Such is life.

Reply to
Paul Saccani

(International code 44) then 1249 444 450 should connect. The number's valid from here. I didn't get a reply when I tried just now, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

then 44 1249 444 450.

The 'net thinks that the is 0011