200 TDi Disco crankshaft oil seal

Has anyone out there replaced the crankshaft oil seal in the timing belt cover on a 200 TDi? Haynes says to just "remove the crankshaft timing pulley", however I did not find this so straight forward! After destroying a puller, many grinding discs and 2 cutting discs I managed to remove the thing. Getting the new one back on, is proving just as difficult. Haynes' suggestion of "give it a tap with a soft faced mallet" did not prove that useful.

Nick Melbourne, Australia '86 RR '93 Discovery

Reply to
Nick and Abby Morrison