Replacing crankshaft oil seal

Have a '91 900 turbo - crankshaft oil seal leaks - back (front) of engine - I know the oil seal is in the oil pump, which is under the crankshaft pulley, but how in God's name does one get the pulley off, when it's right up against the firewall?? Is there a removable panel?? The power steering pump and alternator pulleys are hard enough to get at. Anyone who can help her?? Thanks

Reply to
Jeremiah

There's no access panel. There is just enough room for a cut down socket on a tommy bar - you can either buy a short socket, or make your own.

Reply to
Grunff

There are two distinct seals at this front area: oil pump housing and crankshaft

It helps to remove the A/C pulley from the crankshaft pulley(s) - awkward but makes the difference in providing more space.

You'll also need to carefully lock the flywheel (a commercial or DIY tool can be used), or some use the method below

http://68.18.130.206/engine_folder/front_crank_seal900.htm

Lance

Reply to
LanceM

OK, Grunff. Thanks for your help. I have fixed just about every kind of car there is, but the backward-engined Saab is an alien life form compared to 99.9% of others.

Reply to
Jeremiah

Lance - thanks for the seal replacement procedure - WOW!! No wonder the Saab is called the mechanics nightmare. This is my wife's car and a mechanic told her that if she loved me, she wouldn't ask me to replace her water pump (previous Saab), but I am now replacing the water pump in this '91 - the oil seal will probably have to wait til spring (no garage)- street mechanic. ...Jerry

Reply to
Jeremiah

The C900 is my car, but yep, also street mechanic, so, if it means getting cold, and wet for more than 2 hours, it waits, or it gets taken to a garage, unless it is a real stupid emergency.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo