200 TDI Discovery springs and shocks

I ned some advice I have Disco with a broken spring and a leaky shock and I will replace them all round. I only use it on road and to tow medium size boats and box trailer Is it worth uprating them at the same time, I don't wish to change the ride height maybe just firm it up a bit. Some idea of price and supplier would be helpful as I don't want to spend too much.

Thanks

Reply to
seacomm

On or around Tue, 20 Dec 2005 02:35:16 -0000, "seacomm" enlightened us thusly:

standard dampers are cheap as chips, from Beamends, Paddock, et al.

You can fit 90 HD rear springs to the back of a disco - similar ride height and I think slightly stiffer, although the disco rear springs are among the stiffest of the bunch anyway, when you look into it.

other than that, keep it standard = keep it cheap. Standard britpart springs are cheap as chips an' all. likewise bushes - use the standard rubber ones.

consider that for the cost of hifalutin' gas dampers from OME you get at least 2 cheap standard ones - you can afford, for example, to replace the cheapo ones every year, say. Same applies to springs - standard ones cost so little that unless you're after a major lift or something it ain't worth it, IMHO.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi,

I've just done similar on my 200Tdi 5-door Disco.

Rear springs changed for Heavy-Duty types (camel trophy spec), front springs changed to heavy duty spec. All four shocks changed for Pro-comp ES9000 gas struts.

I am very pleased with the results, and the springs are cheap as chips

- all Britpart, no problems yet, but i haven't long done it. The shocks are pricey though, at about =A335 each, but i swear by them (used them on previous vehicles too.)

I guess it depends on your budget, and what you are trying to achieve. I tend to throw my disco around a bit, so prefer tighter shocks. I also tend to carry a reasonable weight in the back on a permanent basis (100-150Kg) Thats without passengers, but i rarely have them. I have a winch and 2nd battery in the front too. The new springs and shocks are a BIG improvement over my standard items. BTW, both my front and rear anti-roll bars have been removed.

I can dig out part numbers for the springs if you wish, and prices/suppliers. If you intend doing it yourself, i'll post some tips ive learned along the way! :-)

Sorry for the long post,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Beresford

Had the garage change mine, I got the parts. Shocks were about 6 quid each, springs about 12. Whole bill for everything was 150. Good result. Disco 1 '92. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB