Should new shocks raise height?

I've got a 2001 Infiniti I30t that had worn out shocks. Today I had the local tire store chain install new shocks/struts (in the I30t, the front are struts and the back are shocks). I had all 4 replaced with what I was told would be identical shocks/struts as original (could be knock-offs, but at least conceivably they should have the same characteristics).

Anyway, now the car is riding a couple inches higher than it was before. Is this normal when you have new shocks installed? Even when they are of the same type as were there before?

I've done some google searching on the topic and as best I can tell this is normal IF the shocks are gas-filled and the old shocks had lost their gas (basically saying that the car was actually riding lower than it should have been because the shocks were worn out).

I'm happy with the better shock performance I am noticing, but I'm not sure whether I like riding a couple inches higher than before. I'll live with it I guess if its normal though. Any guidance? We aren't talking a new brand/type of shock, where I could see the height changing, but the old shocks were pretty worn. I just don't know if the I30t's sports-tuned shocks were gas filled or not (car makers provide very little technical info about the cars).

Reply to
Actor123

Bad assumption..

No.

Again you assume "all shocks are the same", they aren't.

But not even an inch of difference will be seen from this.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
Greg

Sheesh, YES ride height can be altered when installing new struts. Aftermarket items arent always exactly the same as the OEM's. The new struts are a little longer than the old ones. Should you worry about it? Not unless you get some strange tire wear.

-Pete

Actor123 wrote:

Reply to
speedy

What distance and conditions do you drive in? Shocks used in UK on surfaced roads usually last 80,000 miles 8 years of wet summers, road salt winters and assorted potholes. My fronts are still original at

130K miles and 13 years - fitted new gaiters at 80K which is when I blew the oil out of a rear shock by a heavy landing. I have had a Nissan and Toyota make over 120K miles and 15 years old on all the original shocks but I didn't give them flying lessons (didn't go fast enough).

If it's changed your ride height by more than a 1/2" then your wheels and tyres will be at the wrong camber angle as the suspension arms will be working at the wrong angles - especially a Nissan multilink rear suspension as it has quite short links. This will also have loaded any rubber bushes at suspension arm pivots past the normal working range which could reduce their life as the rubber can shear from the metal inner and outer. It's usually the other way round. People fit springs with 1-2" drop and then find the tyres scrubbed out on the inside edge in a few 1000 miles. If it's as bad as you say expect to lose the outside edge of the tyres in a few months (assuming you do 1000 miles/month). Incorrect camber also means your tyre contact patch is reduced in width and displaced to one edge (outside) and that could kill you as it will affect braking and steering making a skid much more likely especially on wet roads.

If the ride height is wrong you have been sold the wrong shocks or they have been fitted very badly. I suggest you read the specs in your owners manual, find the roof height and check that. With a full tank of fuel, if it's more than 1/4" off it's wrong, more than 1" is very wrong, take it back and get them to put it right. Don't let them sell you a camber correction kit or shims or mess with the vehicle frame to make it safe and stop it wearing out tyres at it's current height - it was right it's their parts that are wrong. If you don't get satisfaction sue the C**TS - preferably out of business.

Reply to
Peter Hill