200 TDI engine clatte

So, I'm on my to Wales on Thursday for a spot of laning on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in my 200 TDI disco that I'm allowed to play in, as opposed to the family one......

Pootling down the A14 the tappets starting sounding rattley, so decided to pull in at the next junction, approx 1 mile away....

Suddenly, large sound like a stone hitting something and she dropped to about 2 and 3/4 cylinders, with unburnt diesel smoke pouring out the back..... loud clattering sound develops....:-(

Managed to limp the remaining 1/4 mile to the exit and pull up. Engine still running but decidely poorly....

Take the rocker cover off, and was greeted by the sight of one of the tappet adjustment screws (no.3 cylinder snapped at the point where it passes through the rocker arm. The valve stem cap for that valve was also missing, and could not be found....

The inlet and exhaust valve clearances for the remaining valve on no3 and both inlet and exhaust on no 4 are miles away........

Fitted new cambelt approx 250 miles ago when engine installed, valve clearancs checked and no adjustment required at that time. Had been tested and proved to be a decent runner on the offroad course at driffield......

Is it likely that the tensioner has worked loose, alowed the belt to slip and casued the damage as described? I intend dropping the sump oil tomorrow to look at it for metal bits, and remove the timing case cover to check the belt and its tension. Any other hints, clues etc?

Ended up going home and taking the family Disco laning, now have a lot of polishing to do as well :-(

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

So far have found one broken tappet screw, 8 bent pushrods. Cambelt has not snapped, all teeth present and accounted for, and timing marks still all line up, the tensioner is still okay, and tension as per the book.

Bit concerned, so took the head off, stripped valves to check them for damage, none, so have reinstalled them after grinding back in with new stem seals, springs etc. Bores are not damaged, they even have honing marks on them... Cleaned the tops of the pistons, found evidence of valve impact, but only it could only be seen once cleaned, so I'm now working to a theory that the cambelt failed previously, but not all the pushrods were replaced, only those that appeared to be bent, some look newer than others. The failure fatigued the tappet screws which in turn began to fail, which led to the damage that has occurred. Just got to wait for new pushrods and tappet screw to arrive and see what happens at start up!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

My naD was a bit tappety and I discovered a bunch of bent pushrods when I took the top off. Somone must have just adjusted the slack out and left it.

Reply to
jOn